OT 2000 Ford F 150 with V-6 engineody have any comments

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by MobileMike, Aug 2, 2017.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Really interesting part is a lot of those older motors like the 300/6 got just as good a gas mileage as todays motors, they didn't have all the air pollution crap on them so that helped.

2. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

The '79 300 I had got better mileage than my '99 V6 does.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I think part of their downfall was as a general rule they didn't make the hp folks want these days. GM's Atlas I6 broke that mold though as it made nearly 300hp so with a modern high flowing head I bet they could. The torque curve was still almost ruler flat too, from just off idle to redline. Had a Trailblazer with one for a while, loved that engine.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

True for a lot of things. The 88-03(?) 7.3L diesel got better mileage than the several generations of diesels that came after it. Reliability was stellar as well.

Truck companies started the great horsepower wars and little things like mileage went out the window. Despite the fact that most pickup owners have little to no need for the extra HPs.

5. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

Not necessarily true in the diesel world...............the EPA emissions crap is what did them in...............although the mileage is coming back; even without deletes etc.