OT Ice fishing flashers, which one

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by lanthanide, Jan 16, 2015.

1. lanthanide

lanthanide Elite Refuge Member

Hmmmmmmm ^ ^ ^ ^

What about that, Ron?

Will the Marcum be a mess in the weeds? This low/high power setting was a point of discussion in some of my other searches.

Most discounted it and stuck with their Marcums...simply said a low power output was just not needed.

This is probably the most confusing purchases I've made. :z

2. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I do not want to make it worse, but if your fishing for anything but walleyes buy a camera. I have the Marcum 825sd and love it. Way better than any flasher. I have 2 vex FL18's one with the duel cone. They are for walleyes only, worth it but I have not used a flasher for pan fish in 10 years.

We use the cameras on perch as well, but wallies do not seem to like the lime light.

3. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

Understanding the IR is key. However, even when used properly, it sometimes does not eliminate even the majority of the mess. With other brands it isn't near the issue. Loved my FL 8 but it was the worst. Newer models are better.

4. lanthanide

Dear gawd, Lip Shooter...I didn't need to hear that.

10 YEARS!?!

I just decided to move into a real where I didn't have that clip-on, lead weight stuck to my coat all day...now camera's?

But now looking into it...few youtube videos...I see what you're saying.

I just wanna fish fer crying out loud:doh

5. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Still running my old Lowrance 2330 flasher to this day for ice fishing! All I care about is my depth, hard or soft bottom, and see my jig and the fish. What they want price wise just to ice fish now a days is just off the wall BS!

6. lanthanide

OK guys...thanks for all the input...

Just got back from the local 'farm-fleet'. They had the Marcum lx-3 on sale so I got it. Will be on the ice tomorrow at first light.

If I hate the thing it will be on the 'fuge classifieds by nightfall:dv

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  7. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

If you have the money check out the humminbird, I have a 385CI and is very nice. Flasher,graph and GPS. Plus card slots for lake maps and it don't get much better. And yes you can see your jig at any depth. And color.

8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Many will discount low power mode saying they don't fish in the weeds or brush. Those that say it doesn't work or it doesn't offer any advantage don't know how to fully utilize their flasher. For those not fishing around cover low power is useless expect for one other scenario that I know of. When we ice fish on green bay for whitefish they don't like the tick from a flasher. Knocking the power down eliminates this. They are the only fish I've ever seen that won't bite with a flasher running. That said you will like the Marcum. They are good units. To be at a point where you can nitpick the differences between the units you will be at a level of understanding far greater than the average there's the bottom there's the fish there's my jig user.

9. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

"Ice Fishing"? :scratch

I had to look it up........something about a bunch of ice holes out on a frozen lake.

But after watching this video I must admit that it has it's exciting moments...

http://youtu.be/Sfes9gs9qZg

10. Maineduckhunter

Maineduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

Good choice on the Marcum, I have an LX-5... and that's after owning 3 different Vex models, the Marcum is a much better unit.