OT Ice fishing flashers, which one

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by lanthanide, Jan 16, 2015.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

He may want to see a doctor and get on some antibiotics if he is having problems like that.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure I want to know what all goes on in these ice shanties.

3. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

Have to love a 60degree January day. Hope the Marcum is working out for you OP!

[​IMG]

4. lanthanide

lanthanide Elite Refuge Member

FIRST REPORT BACK!!!

First off let me just say that Crappie's are rotten SOB's.

I had no idea...obviously I knew they suspended but to find out that in a situation where they only wanted to be in 20 ft. of water but then suspend anywhere up to ten feet!?!

It was quite an eye opener. We got the Marcum all set up and were marking fish in minutes. My son was having a ball watching his tiny jig and spike so clearly up and down from the bottom on the screen. After a few minutes he pointed and asked: "What the hell are these way up here?" as fish flashed all over at ten feet. I said I didn't know but get your bait in front of them.

Long story short we ended up switching to minnows but nearly half filled our bucket before we picked up. Along with a good ratio over 10 inches. I also learned that the whole 'patience' think is misunderstood and highly overrated. If we sat in a spot for 15-20 minutes without marking fish...move. Punch more holes and find them. Also...had pressure system move in late that afternoon. We watched the fish sink to the bottom and not want to come up for anything. Time to go home and watch the game.

Weather permitting we're going South Dakota next weekend to hit lakes I fished as a kid. Probably going to disprove a lot of old theories.

It really is night and day.

5. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

Good to hear! I'll be the first to say I don't know a lot about fishing, but they tell me fish school and swim around, so a hole that is not producing right now may produce in 15 mins. But I'm with yah, its more fun to run around and chase them till they leave. :tu

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Not the way its done in the upper midwest.:eek:
    A nice warm fishouse, My dads main fishouse had a kitchen and bunk beds
    My college years that is where I did most of my studying. All my card playing and friends did too much drinking.
    At one time Im sure it is still true. More time was spent and more fish caught in the winter in Minnesota than open water
    All the workers that get laid off:doh spend their winters.

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

sorry gone for the weekend and did not get a chance to look at the thread! Simply put the LX3 and up is going to out perform the Vex of any class regarding separation and including fishing in weeds, reeds etc... Not the lower models but as I stated the 3and above.

8. fishmunkee

fishmunkee Senior Refuge Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnBZ View Post
    I like the low power mode on vexilar units. Pays off when fishing in tall weeds or brush piles. I can see my jig down in the jungle and see fish when a bird or Marcum would show a wall of red.

Any one that is informed care to comment on this?

Someone needs to learn how to adjust the sensitivity/gain on their unit.

9. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Ah the joys of learning with a new toy!!! Glad you had a good day!! We chased coyotes and had fun!!!

Here is things in a nutshell, Marcum is much like Ford and Chevy in that they make a lot of models with different features and options that can be suited to ones needs.

Vex is really the same product with various wrappings to give the impression of difference. I run a vex and will for a while until I switch. I can catch fish and it works like it is suppose to. If it was all I could ever fish with I would be fine as well.

Cameras are a good tool but if only one was an option a flasher remains the best choice regardless of species. Water clarity depth etc.. all limit cameras where a flasher works in 2-200 ft of water!!!

Again I have both, like both and because of the various waters we fish a camera stays home or in the truck more than it goes out.

Have fun boys, going to be hitting the ice later this week as soon as I can get the work done that needs doing!!!