Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

[OT] Is it ever winter on Canadian TV?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Camolund, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Camolund

Camolund Senior Refuge Member

Over the past few months I've watched seasons 1-3 of Trailer Park Boys and 1 & 2 of Corner Gas on DVD. I loved both of these shows but was struck by the fact that it is almost never winter in any of them. Now perhaps the weather is somewhat warm in Nova Scotia and Southern Saskatchewan, but why do they always show it as summer?

To be fair, the TPB Christmas episode did show some winter. It was especially funny to see Randy's cheeseburger-eating gut hanging over his green elf costume pants. But would they really play hockey and curl in Dog River in the summer?

2. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Trailer park Boys is shot in the Maritimes. We've had years there where "winter" didn't show up with snow and all until January. Plus the whole blizzard/rain storm cycle that's common can get rid of any snow that falls.

In the west (at least here) we get winter but very little snow for the most part. We've had -20 Celsius here this winter and almost plus 20 this week. I shot in 20 degree weather over water Oct 28th and was completely frozen out on Nov 5. Little snow and warming trends can give you a brown (if cold) winter.

Now all that BS aside, the real reason is that the film crews from Toronto can't handle the real weather. HEll they called in the ARMY over a few inches of snow. :dv

Plus if they depicted winter it would be pretty boring. We just huddle in the cabins and eat moose stew for those 11 months of the year.

3. Camolund

I didn't really think that winter or non-typical northern winter didn't come to those places. It's just that in Corner Gas it always appears to be June, and in TPB it looks like August or September to me. Don't Canadian TV viewers think this is odd?

Probably the most widely known movie to come out of my home state, Minnesota, is Fargo and that was completely shot in the winter. It was near where I used to work an I saw the film crews for a few weeks. Also, I believe that Mary Tyler Moore was shot in both winter an summer.

It just seemed odd to me. That and the cast of Corner Gas rarely says "eh". Is that typical of southern Saskatchewan? My exerience is mostly with Manitoba and their "eh's" match my "huh's" and "you betcha's".

Ultimately, though, I think these are fantastic shows and much better than anything we find on US TV. I'm surprised that Corner Gas hasn't been picked up to run in the states--perhaps it has and I just don't get that channel? There really aren't that many Canadian inside jokes in it. It's just plain funny.

Freedom 35!

4. Duckschmucker

Duckschmucker Senior Refuge Member

Holy... Randy might have to wear a shirt if they filmed in winter and that just wouldn't be the same...

5. Wood Duck Crazy

Wood Duck Crazy Elite Refuge Member

Winter is too cold for the film crews!!!!!!!!!!! and puttinga shirt on Randy is just wrong!!!!!! And Hemp is hard to harvest in winter... Plus the Boys usually spend theirs winters in Jail!!!! :dv

6. Camolund

Fellas, I agree that Randy shouldn't wear a shirt. If you click here you can a photo of Randy's gut in its full winter glory.

7. Saskeram

Saskeram Senior Refuge Member

Camo....you want winter, I'll give you winter my friend. We get enough frik'n snow and ice as it is. Can't say I know of a Canuck who wants to watch a Canadian show with snow. Already have 8 inches of ice up here. Nice pics of Drake and I on your site, Thanks. Will send you a few by e-mail shortly. Those two shows are the best of three on the planet. The other is "Chilly Beach", a cartoon show, another Canadian classic. Do you receive it? Go to www.chillybeach.com you won't regret it. Cheers, J-

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

John, that was the first time for me at the site and its a hoot. True canadiana at its best. Love the hockey episode.

ps We've still got green grass here, but cold. Grace lake has a good 6 inches of ice, but river is still not frozen. I double i'll be on there fishing until close to Christmas. Our last really good duck hunt here was Nov 12th. Weather moved everything south after that.

9. Ducky_Hunter

Ducky_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Hey did you guys know that this is the last season for the Red Green show and in the last show Harold get married. good thing for reruns

10. Camolund

John & Warren,

Thanks for the responses. I was in Illinois hunting very spooky geese. You would not recognize hunting down there. I shot zero geese, one cotton tail rabbit, and this tiny bird they call a quail. Private land everywhere, folks hunt in permanent dugout blinds. I don't think I'll bother trying that again.

I didn't think that Canadians wanted to see snow on TV, I just thought they would find it strange. In the Grey Cup episode of Corner Gas it looked like it was July outside.

I've seen Chilly Beach once or twice but didn't like it as much as the other two shows. Maybe because it was a cartoon.

Freedom 35!