OT: Non gundog question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by sdkidaho, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

Our family would like to get another dog. I've got my hunting dog, but he is not an inside lap dog. The family would like something that can live inside (I know, they all can), but I want to avoid dog hair everywhere.

What are your opinions on these "doodle" type dogs? Dogs that have been crossed with poodles in an effort to curb shedding.

Truth be told my wife thinks she wants a Pug. We used to have some 20 years ago that were great dogs, but man the shedding was no good. I don't mind a little dog, or whatever size dog for that matter - I just don't want dog hair everywhere. Can't say that I'm a fan of actual poodles as far as looks go.

2. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

Look in to miniature schnauzers. We have a female, very smart and hypoallergenic.

sdkidaho likes this.
  3. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Check into Bichons. Pugs have many problems now, told to me by a vet friend who rescued one

how45hard likes this.
  4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

I actually like the looks of the Miniature Schnauzers, the black or white are both appealing to me.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not sure I like the looks of the Bichon. Almost looks like an extra fluffy poodle.

WoodieSC likes this.
  5. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

If you like the Schnauzer, get a female

WHUP ! Hen and how45hard like this.
  6. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

Ours is a female, very loyal and loving. They can be stubborn but they are better than any small dog breed I've been around.

There's anther color, I think it's called phantom? White is the equivalent of of a chocolate lab in terms of availability from what I've been told.

7. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

Friends of ours used to have Scottish Terriers. If I get a small dog it might be one of those or a West Highland Terrier. Small dogs but not foo-foos.

8. duck dawg

duck dawg Refuge Member

A guy I work with has a goldendoodle. Very cool dog with a great disposition and he said it does not shed bad at all.

9. HarryWilliams

HarryWilliams Elite Refuge Member

I'd not buy a cross bred dog.

10. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Every Schnauzer I have been around barks at the drop of a pin. The ones I know of were very yippie dogs. My call would be a small poodle, we had two when the kids were home, both were probably the smartest dogs I have been around, plus they don't shed.