OT: Non gundog question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by sdkidaho, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Scottish Terrier isn't bad looking, I don't mind that.
    [​IMG]

West Highland Terrier is ok, almost looks like a straight-haired Bichon
    [​IMG]
    Bichon
    [​IMG]

One of the best dogs we had when I was a kid, was a poodle. He never barked without cause - he wasn't the usual alarmist type yippie little dog. I just don't care for how they look.
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid of winding up with one of these:
    [​IMG]
    We had Pugs when my wife and I were first married and they were great dogs. The biggest problem was all the shedding - all those tiny short pieces of hair get everywhere, and stick in everything. I hate that. If that dog didn't shed, I'd have another one and not even think twice. Just really don't want the hair all over the place.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have some neighbors with a portugese water dog. It does not shed.

3. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

From this point forward my non-sporting dogs will be of the non-shedding variety and from a rescue/pound. Other than that go find one with a nice temperament.

4. Foxwood

Foxwood Senior Refuge Member

Hogleg, my wife has a mini dachshund which has been a great companion dog. Doesn't shed, not real bad barky. Spayed female. Last year my daughter got another one from a rescue; it was about 6 and had been in a puppy mill. This one has some real issues - very spooky. I've gone way out of my way to try and get her to warm up to me and she won't even eat when I'm in the room. But I'd be willing to try another rescue, just be aware of the dog's history.

Hogleg likes this.
  5. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

The terrier group in general is very good. Smart, nice demeanor. I like the West Highland and Scottish are great too. Check the entire terrier group and do your research....a few others but I can't think of their names right now.

Most if not all the schnauzers I have known or seen are too nervous and constant barkers.

Oh yeah.....research their health histories as a lot of small lap breeds have lots of problems.

Foxwood likes this.
  6. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

Shishi (spelling?) don't shed but they bark all the time and are annoying as hell.

7. thedckstpshere

thedckstpshere Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure a vizsla or German shorthair would happily live inside.

8. Brenttos

Brenttos Refuge Member

I'm a French bulldog breeder so I can recommend one very confidently to you. If you don't want shedding stay away from any white, cream or fawn colors. They have black brindle and blue. Super mellow dogs but also can be super fun. They run a muck with my lab, I actually think he thinks he's a Frenchie himself.

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Caved in a little and got one that does shed some. A miniature Australian Shepherd. She was the runt of the litter and will probably get to be around 10-12 inches tall.

Indee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WoodieSC and Hogleg like this.
  10. jackiejp

jackiejp Refuge Member

Just to clarify when dogs are crossed with poodles it is the poodle that is non-shedding and many times the more biddable dog. Crossing a poodle will make them shed more than a purebred. The poodle is a great house dog and a well bred one pretty much will train itself. I like the mini poodles better than the toys though. There are three different sizes in the poodle..toy, mini and standard and each one is a bit different in temperament. I like the mini for intelligence and size (under 15 pounds so still a small dog).
    Personally not a big fan of terriers because most I have been around are always looking for a fight....maybe just my personnel experience with terriers but a like a dog that works with more.
    Lots of nice small dogs but few will be easier than a poodle and especially when you start adding in your preference for a non-shedding breed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.