OT: Shotguns for Bears?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Dec 5, 2017.

1. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

We have bear on my hunting lease, and my duck gun is my deer gun.

I shoot Lightfields in my rifled slug barrel and wouldn't hesitate to use them on a bear.

3ds

2. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

I worked at the gun counter in a Cabelas while in college. One day I had a customer looking at a Taurus judge, and he commented that he was looking at getting one for a bear gun for hiking trips. I commented that .45 Long Colt might not be powerful enough for a bear gun, especially a griz (he mentioned hiking around Yellowstone area). He looked up, dead serious, and said in a very matter of fact manner that he would be using .410 6 shot, and that surely a shotgun blast of bird shot to the face would stop a charging bear. I felt a little bad afterwards, because my knee jerk reaction was an out loud laugh in his face.

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Da*m!!!! Some interesting and enlighten reading here! The show I was watching they were showing 2-3/4" lead Foster slugs & that's why I was wondering. IMO I think the old Breneke or the ones sdkidaho posted look good! Thanks guys, I really didn't think slugs or for that matter buckshot would be adequate.

4. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

So, did you sell him the judge?

5. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

OneShotBandit likes this.
  6. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

! oz slugs are adequate for all bear w/in 25 yards ( most self defense shots are considerably within 25 yards)-I've never heard of a true self defense shot outside of 60 feet. However, all bears are not created equal- black bear are about half the size of a typical grizzly and a typical grizzly is about 25 % lighter than a typical brown bear. Accordingly, it is far easier to stop a black bear even while shooting buckshot than to use that load to stop ( the key word is 'stop'), not just ultimately kill, a grizzly or brown bear with bad intentions. I never hesitated to carry slugs for bear defense, but never bought into buckshot as bear stopper-however, I was always in brown bear territory.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

That is a nasty slug,. I still like the idea of a "split slug" My brothers buddy said both bear he shot , one shot to the face and they were dead. ( both shots were under 10 feet.
    OO is cheap. I dont want a hunting slug but an instant dead bear ( or moose).
    Of this years grizzle attacks in Wy. Mt and Id. How many get a shot off. How many were saved by a partner with spray?
    My daughter carries , but I make her also carry bear deterrent in our unit when Im with her.

I back packed in early up in the Winds in Wyoming with my old-deaf-dog, had some great brookie fishing. I lost my bear spray jumping a runoff flow. I spent two more nights up high where I had seen a 15 day old elk kill,.. coming out we found two more very fresh kills. 70 lbs of the hind quarter still on the one elk,..Wow talk about raising the hair on the back of my neck The wind was right and we moved out of there fast,.. I crossed fast moving fresh snow melt to my chest,.. The adrenaline kept me warm. I didnt change until I was a mile away.

8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Ask and ye shall receive:

Same company as the other one, and it also is nasty.

9. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Refuge Member

My question really has always been, what is the real range of Grizzlies, Brown bears in the continental US. I would love to move out west, but I'm not going into bear country haha.

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Basically their real range starts in the Wind rivers then going north, moving up and along the wyoming Idaho ( Teton) range then up the western Montana border.
    There was a skull of a grizzle /black cross found in New Mexico a few years ago.