OT: Shotguns for Bears?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Dec 5, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Now that is a nasty slug!!! Cheap enough too only $10.00 per 5

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I remember reading in one of the big three magazines, years ago, about a 70 year old female trapper in Minnesota that dispatched a "Great Plains Grizzly" she encountered on a trail, in the dark with 7 rounds from a 22 cal rifle. The encounter occurred around 1900. According to the article, it was the third largest great plains grizzly ever killed.
    I've done some research and have not ever found any reference to a sub species of the grizzly call the great plains grizzly. With all that said, it would appear that the range of the grizzly was far greater than today.

3. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

Lewis and Clark encountered grizzlies on the plains. It was expanding civilization that pushed them into remote mountain wilderness areas.

Constructeur likes this.
  4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would be willing to bet, if you unloaded that 10 ga. gun full of slugs at a charging bear, your shoulder would not hurt at all during the course of the event.... However, if you are at all like me, there would be some high frequency sphincter vibration, and the strong possibility of the need for some fresh "shorts."

As to the original question, I would agree with others:
    • Shotguns and the ammo for them are widely available and affordable.
    • Shotgun slugs and buckshot at close range are lethal.
    • Shotguns with slugs, are likely lighter in weight to carry and easier to get on target for close range, fast-moving targets than a large caliber rifle would be (especially if said rifle were scoped).

Remember, these people are not "hunting" bears, they are carrying a weapon in the hopes of not having to use it, and if they do, it will likely be under extremely stressful situations at close range....

5. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    An 870 w/ slugs and an 18" barrel is a lot easier to handle and with an extended mag tube gives you plenty of rounds in case of multiple targets.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Multiple bears charging???

I'd really hope I have my brown pants on... The chances of my hitting multiple targets in that scenario would be slim, as I would likely simply pass out... Or more hopefully "wake up" from the bad dream I was having....

OneShotBandit likes this.
  7. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Most critters were plains animals before man pushed them around, simply because it was easier to feed on the plains, and winter was easier.

Their ranges:
    [​IMG]
    Granted this map doesn't really show where they are in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, other than Yellowstone Park, but you get the idea.

This would be in the minority of occurrences. People would most likely see a mother bear charging and maybe some cubs following along and think they are being attacked by "multiple" bears.

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

My Wife's cousins on the ranch in Montana handed her brother and sister-in-law a riot type 870 with buckshot and with slugs the last two shots when they went fishing on one of the creeks.

He told them if one charges to shoot for the nose. Turns out they did have one get pretty close to them. They didn't know it but he saw it when he came to get them.

Anyway...I believe the philosophy was that by aiming for the nose instead of the head that the buckshot would possibly hit the spine or not bounce of the bear's skull.

Anyway...

9. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

The grizzly and the brown bear are the same bear that diverge due to geography. Brown bear live w/in 80 miles( if I remember correctly) of the coast and ,therefore, have a longer feeding season with more good stuff to eat-the reason for the size difference between browns and grizzlies. Grizzlies live inland at least 80 miles from the coast and have a short feeding season and not nearly as much protein and fat in their diets. I have actually seen brown bear running around in February on the Kodiak Island archipelago- I would've bet they would be hibernating at that time-and would've lost the bet.

10. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Squaller, That's the best laugh I 've had in a while. It would be Even worse than mom's warning about wearing clean underwear. Maybe just wearing brown pants covers the whole controversy.

OneShotBandit and Squaller like this.