Our changing image

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Zenhunter, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Zenhunter

Zenhunter Senior Refuge Member

Would appreciate any feedback and thoughts on the latest entry in my hunting blog, a piece called "The Greatest Pleasure?" on the changing image of hunting and how the marketing of our sport may be contributing to a darkening view by the general public...

Here's a sample....

The Greatest Pleasure?

By Neil Beltran

?WARNING!? a website for duck calls announces, as heavy

metal music blares in the background: ?We are not responsible for the

massive carnage that could be imposed on the waterfowl population

after the use of these calls.?

This site is not alone in the use of jagged-edge verbiage; nowadays hunting magazines and hunting-related product websites offer up lots of Charlie Manson-esque lingo. When I first started hunting, later in life than most, hearing ?whack ?em and stack ?em? and ?if it flies, it dies? made me wince. Those phrases seemed more suited to callous market hunters and poachers than to sportsmen who claimed to love the whistling of duck wings in the dark and the rich sunrises that followed. It made no sense.

Today of course, those slogans are tame. Every season brings more products promising to super-size my ability to annihilate, massacre, and assassinate my prey, to make them rue the day they flew over my blind or strolled beneath my tree stand.* But despite a deep and vigorous passion for hunting, and many days of coming back from the water or woods empty-handed, I can?t seem to conjure up any ill will or anger towards the animals I pursue. In fact, it?s the opposite. I love them. I?m amazed by them sometimes and outwitted by them often. And I respect them, alive or dead. Even when an advertiser tells me to ?Exact Your Revenge? with their rifle scope, or a network pushes me to watch a show to hear ?Wild hogs squeal for mercy,? I?m pretty sure I?m not in it for those things. Advertisers and TV show promoters must think otherwise, but I just don?t FEEL like a serial killer....

For more: My blog

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I agree. And, nice writing!

3. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

4. RebsBud

RebsBud Elite Refuge Member

Yes! I'm one of the older ones on the Texas board and I've told my story there of growing up with what I considered and was taught to be 'Gentlemen Sportsmen'. These were mainly quail hunters up in NE Texas, but it was the same with the old squirrel and deer hunters too. They took their prey and were grateful for them and treated the whole pursuit and taking with respect. The could kill and do it well, and didn't have to boast or brag about it nor turn it into some sort of war.

I hope someday we can put some class back into hunting without that being taken as some sort of sissy-fying of the activities afield by the Rambo want-a-be's of the world.

5. CurlyBillTucker

CurlyBillTucker Refuge Member

Exactly. :tu

When I see this in the morning, loud music and carnage is not what comes to mind.

[​IMG]

Even my dog seems to have more respect than that.

[​IMG]

6. Zenhunter

Thanks for reading it, gentlemen, and the comments. Appreciate it!

Zen

7. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

I agree except for the hogs.

Kill all those rat-bastages...:dv
    We are overrun around here.:z

8. Zenhunter

Oh yeah, pigs gotta go. Love how the Iowa hunting regs say "kill on sight" for pigs, no tag, no fee, no nothing. Just wonder about the type who needs a second sentence that says "and make 'em squeal for mercy."

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Very nice piece.:tu

Unfortunately, I don't know if it will have the popularity to the intended audience that the carnage and rock music currently do.:(

Interestingly, I find that the hunting shows and videos are far more graphic than actual hunting is. My wife noticed this fact when watching a hunting show with me, and pointed out that actual hunting is not nearly as distasteful as the shows which portray it...

10. Main Duck

Main Duck Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the post. It has me thinking over my 47 plus years of hunting. I'm 55 now and wiser than ever. Still learning when I can from my older friends, and younger. I have a Outdoor Ministry in our church.

I have taken out a few younger people from time to time. Trying to get them interested in hunting and the outdoors in general fishing, archery etc.
    The biggest problem I see is their lack of attention span. I tell them in the beginning to turn off their cell phone. Half of them tell me right off they won't go. I tell them perhaps another time. I then invite their friends, once they come along the word gets out of the fun had by all, my boat is always full.

When growing up I remember my uncle and the older men had a great respect for the outdoors and fellow sportsmen as well.

I don't see the same respect today towards either. Maybe it is just me. I only hunt the public lands and the refuges. Maybe I 'm just getting old.

Always take the young hunting, they like to push the decoy cart !:cool