Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Our Favorite Hunting Gear

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 30, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

We see plenty of complaints about gear, but what I and some others here, are interested in is what is your go-to gear when you go out hunting? Whatever type of hunting it may be, if you've got some gear that you really like, share it with us here. From the clothes on your back to the bullets in your favorite caliber rifle - tell us what you can about your positive experiences.

2. sdkidaho

I have to say that some of my favorite gear right now is the First Lite hunting clothing that I've been accumulating the past two to three years. I have really liked the merino wool blend that they use and I love the pattern of their Fusion Camo.

The merino wool really seems to control odor very well. I'm certainly not a scent control expert, but like many guys, I do my best to try and eliminate as much of my human scent as possible before going out in the field. During the early months of bow season, temps can vary quite a bit in Idaho as you all know, and so you can go from pretty cold in the morning to 80+ degrees by noon in some places, even in the higher elevations. And when you're spending days at a time in the woods, you can't drop everything to run home and wash your gear out - the merino wool really has controlled a lot of odor. This merino wool gear has kept me warm in those early morning hours, and when it gets hot, has certainly helped with breath-ability and sweat. Layering has definitely helped, and I really like the choices they have so you can layer and be comfortable without a lot of bulk and weight to deal with. The material doesn't reflect light so you don't have any shiny spots on you and being wool, it's quiet while you are trying to move about in the woods without making a bunch of noise.

The Fusion camo pattern is great. I know this is subjective and that as humans we tend to latch on to various camo patterns that are pleasing to our own eye versus what might actually be effective, but this stuff blends in very well in all sorts of terrain and vegetation types. They came out with a new pattern, similar to Fusion, called Cipher that is lighter in color tones. It was part of their product reveal at Shot Show this year.

It's expensive, or at least what I consider to be expensive, yet it is well made and has held up to the abuse I've given it. Another huge plus for me is that this is an IDAHO company. I enjoy supporting Idaho businesses and this gear has treated me well. I first saw this gear being used by Steven Rinella on his hunting show Meat Eater. This guy hunts hard, and does so all over North America.

I would definitely recommend this gear to others and have done so on many occasions. I am not affiliated with First Lite in any way, shape or form, other than being a customer.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive gone the Merino wool route also in combination with fleece and poly.
    I was give a Sitka mid layer hoody, incredibly lightweight and warm, It moves with you and the little added features, the hood , face mast thumb hooks are all big pluses.
    I sleep in it on cold nights.
    Saturday it was -20 at St Charles , a bit warmer across the lake :eek: I slept nice and warm.

I really like GHG callers fiingerless gloves. I use them for archery too.

Ive been a fan of Cabelas brand anything. Many items regular price is 30% less than whose-ever product or manufactures price.

4. sdkidaho

Vortex Optics

I really like my Vortex gear. I have a couple of their scopes and a set of bino's.
    VIPER PST 4-16X50 FFP RIFLESCOPE — First Focal Plane with EBR-1 Reticle (Discontinued)
    VIPER PST 6-24X50 FFP RIFLESCOPE - with EBR-1 Reticle (Discontinued)
    TALON HD 10X42 ROOF PRISM BINOCULAR (Discontinued)

For the price point, these optics are great. I think they are really nice glass at a significant reduction in cost compared to companies like Leica, Zeiss, Nightforce, etc. Granted, I have picked some models that are "discontinued" but I have seen so many awesome stories about their customer service and their warranty, that I don't worry for even a moment. In fact, before buying the binoculars, I had settled on the Talon's and could no longer find them on Vortex's site. I emailed their customer service and asked about it and the guy told me this:

I didn't think twice about buying them after that, and found them for a smokin deal compared to what they had been just a few months before. Those and the scopes have been nice clear glass - definitely worth checking out if you are in the market for a new scope or binoculars.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have begun collecting Sitka gear with the intention of layering. The mid-layer jacket I got is incredible and I look forward to adding the Delta Wading Jacket to my gear when it becomes available again this year.

I am retiring in July of this year so a full inventory of my gear (decoys, boat, etc.) will occur with some repair and some replacement involved.

6. sdkidaho

I hadn't noticed it before but Sitka is one of our sponsors:
    http://www.refugeforums.com/pages/sponsors/

Nice gear. My hunting partner has Sitka gear and it seems like really durable stuff.

7. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

My son built my wife and I two log pole coat trees.
    I have turned one of them into my Sitka tree.
    Sitka GTX Fudd hat with fleece lined ear flaps.
    Two regular SitkaBall caps.
    One light Sitka Beenie
    Sitka Hudson Jacket
    Sitka neck Gaiter
    One pair Sitka lay-out pants
    Sitka Traverse 'T' shirt
    One core four element Merino wool T shirt
    One St Johns Bay brown vest $20 dollars...good value. (Wear a lot!)
    [​IMG]
    Also,
    One pair Army Surplus Muk Luks. Good to -20*
    Wool Millers mittens.