Out of control lab pup

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by K Kalls, Dec 21, 2017.

1. K Kalls

K Kalls Senior Refuge Member

I have a four and a half month old lab pup. She is out of control. She want to play fight with our four year old lab. She bites him on the legs and face. When I try to stop her she goes wild. I have had four other pups in the past. Nothing like this.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Not trying to be "Mr. Obvious", but the "only" thing this four month old pup should be "playing"' with is you.

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

It sounds like your pup is acting normal. Puppies will play as much as the older dog will allow. Generally the older dog will give a snarl or snap if the pup is too aggressive.

I have to disagree with Jim on this one. Our pups live in yard and the house with the other dogs. There is no way to keep them from playing with each other, but they primarily bond with us. It is not a training problem.

bullpinnie likes this.
  4. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well there 'ya go....two totally opposite opinions and "bullpinnie" likes them both. :yes :h

To a certain extent "it depends". For instance, your older dog (as a pup) probably never went through
    the process of leaning the "rules of engagement". My young pups are very gradually and with a great
    deal of supervision
    allowed to play with an older dog one on one......and they are not aired together
    until that relationship has been developed.

Just don't let a very aggressive pup bully an older dog that has no idea of what is going on. You might
    regret doing so. Russ's dogs have a "pack" mentality........your dog and pup don't. Supervise closely
    with a rope on the pup and teach/allow both of them to learn your rules.

To some extent protect your older dog and "rein in" the pup (short rope). Both will realize you are
    calling the "shots".

5. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

I believe both of the guys who responded are top sources of information so I intend no disrespect. If you want someone close to home who is a great trainer and could work with you and your pup, Bill Cox at Valpo is really good guy. I'm gonna guess you already know him so it's just a suggestion.

6. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

you have 2 young dogs and males give alot more to females, but you might not like the results if he gets mad. no is a command and back it up! you are the alpha male as an old friend used to say. I use 3 yard sticks tapes together--what ever you do don't overuse a e collar--they are great but? just go back to obedience training, in other words start over. sounds like a good hunting dog-energy, energy and more energy. controlled it is wonderful!!

7. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

If you have more than one dog and they regularly interact, then they are going to have a "pack" mentality. We certainly would not use a stick or an ecollar on a three month old.

When we bring home a pup at 7 weeks, he spends most of his time in crate in the den. At night my wife or I sleep next to the crate on a mattress. When the pup wakes in the night we take him outside. He only has direct contact with the other dog(s) under supervised conditions for first several weeks. The other dogs have the option of avoiding the pup by jumping up on our bed out of harms way.

Doc E likes this.
  8. K Kalls

K Kalls Senior Refuge Member

Like I said this is the forth pup I have had over the years and never had one this aggressive. When the four year old was a pup my female was seven and he got aggressive but Dixie would give this growl and he stopped right now. The four year male he wants to play like the pup. You have 100 lbs make and a 40 lbs pup playing the house like that is a little ruff.

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Don't let them play in the house.

10. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Refuge Member

Remember you are the leader of the pack. Great advice provided above, just make sure when you make a decision to let them play, not let them play, train, etc... your word is the gospel.