Out of stater....

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by negooseman, Aug 7, 2016.

1. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Looking for a flooded timber duck hunt. Is there any decent guides(or just the regular hunter willing to take 2 guys from out of state) out there that don't charge the average $300-$500/day to hunt ducks. I don't mind paying for fuel, food, etc. I can sleep in a motel and figure my afternoon/evening meals out on my own. I'm not looking at taking anyone's spot in the future and I don't have the time or equipment to make this a regular hunt. Just looking for some timber hunting for me and my son(he turns 21 this year).

2. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Elite Refuge Member

A 'regular hunter' as you put it can't do what you're asking, it's illegal. Even if you just paid for their fuel. Most on this forum probably fall in your category of 'regular hunter' and hunt public land.

The only way it would be legal, is if someone had access to private timber. And if they have access to private timber and it's halfway decent hunting. they are not a 'regular hunter'. There either a high-roller, or a guide. Which brings you full circle back to paying $300-$500.

3. negooseman

So nobody hunting in Arkansas can share expenses to hunt together? Or is that just for a non resident?

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I think the technicality which would get you in this case is offering compensation in the form of "fuel, food, etc." Obviously sharing expenses is legal, but the way you framed your request enters a gray area. It's kind of like the "buy this hat for $150 and we'll hunt together in the morning." Also common is the "stay in my $200 per night cabin, and we'll go hunting the next day." I live in TN and have been a poster on the AR Forum for at least a decade. In that time I've gotten to personally know a bunch of members from AR, and I've hunted with several on that basis. Stick around, put up some good content and you might get an invitation from someone.

By the way, $300 would be cheap for a guided timber hunt. I'd be cautious of that price without a whole lot of evidence they were a legit timber hunting outfit. Even $500 is low if lodging is involved. There's only so much good private timber, and folks are willing to pay to play. The majority of good private timber is held by private clubs, and you ain't hunting there unless invited. There are a few commercial operations with good enough timber to hunt all season, but VERY few, and most are a lot more expensive than $500 per day. Most of the operations you see have a little bit of timber that gets hot every now and then, and they hunt fields the rest of the time. It's luck of the draw to get there when the timber is worth standing in.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, it's the way you framed the question. If you just want to meet someone at the boat ramp and have them take you hunting, that's a little different, but don't pay for fuel and meals etc. Being from OOS probably would make the situation a little more suspect to one of Arkansas' finest possum cops, particularly if he figured out you met your "host" for the first time at the ramp the morning of your first hunt, and you solicited the "assistance" over an internet forum.

6. negooseman

Thanks for the advice. Yea, the way I posted the original question was not quite right. I'd rather hunt with locals rather than come down and stumble around trying to figure it out and break the "rules" of public hunting in your state. I went on a guided hunt(not the best experience I've ever had) down there a few years back and never got to see any timber hunting. Hunted rice fields and shot plenty of birds but would like to experience a timber hunt.

7. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

What's wrong with stumbing around.... been doing it for years and still haven't figured it out....:z Still wouldn't trade it for the world. Common courtesy will prevent you from breaking the rules.... If I happen to be down in the area, you can go with me and see how not to kill birds :tu

8. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Watch out I smell a undercover fed here!

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I think it is hard for some folks to realize this, especially OOS'ers. Outfitters charge a lot for timber hunting, because leasing (good) timber is expensive. I've seen quality timber holes lease for $50,000 a hole.

10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I totally agree. Try and buy a block of good green timber as a managed GTR? two when in the last two years that I know of. $10M GTR & $6M White river flooded. Now it was world class.