Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Out of town people hunting guntersville

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by bamahunter, Dec 29, 2003.

1. bamahunter

bamahunter New Member

I went by conners island boat launch saturday and most of the trucks there were either out of marshall county or out of state. Can't all these out of state people find somewhere to hunt in the state they live in. Seibold boat launch was also covered with people that aren't from here there were probably only 3 trucks with 50 tags.

2. Pondhunter

Pondhunter Elite Refuge Member

I know what you mean. Most of them come up to you and say-- well how did you do? Usually with a northern accent.

3. Bamawebfoot

Bamawebfoot Moderator Moderator

Tennessee River and the Mississippi Delta
    I feel your pain about the out of staters, as for Bama tags, I can't complain. All Alabamians have a right to hunt on the public waters of this state as do the out of state folks for that matter. Heck if I lived in Georgia or south central Tenn. I sure wouldn't hunt there with Guntersville that close. I was snoozing at my place at Waterfront on Friday, and heard boats coming and going all night. When I got to the ramp there were 7 or 8 trucks there at 4:00 am and only half of those were 50 tags, the others were neighboring counties, with a couple of Georgia tags. But after a hunt or two the way things are going now, maybe the out of state folks will say to heck with it.:D

Fire away whiners:l:l:p

Mike:nutz :l

4. Pondhunter

Pondhunter Elite Refuge Member

All I know is that it must be real bad in GA and TN for those folks to come to GSV to hunt. Especially for some of those who show up at the ramp at 9:30 and ask how you did or where you hunted. Like someone is going to tell them where they hunt!:h

5. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

You gotta play that just right....If it's at Seibold, you tell them you killed all your ducks early, right out between the boat ramp and the South point of the first big island, but you gave them all to a buddy after you moved to a new spot to hunt with them. You could really lay it on about how you should have never moved, how the ducks ignore a boat sitting right out there in the open, etc. Pretty soon, we'll hove OOS'rs sitting smack in the middle of every rafting up spot on the river, not firing a shot, and maybe we can work some local ducks again.;) :nutz :D

6. staggerlee

staggerlee Senior Refuge Member

I'm with Pondhunter...why in the world would someone want to come to Bama to duck hunt? Sure, we all have the odd good day from time to time, but the reality of our state's situation geographically for duck hunting is not good as we are between flyways....coupled that with the temp not maintaining real icey cold North of here...to push them down......We just don't get the ducks that say Miss...and Ga. receive via their respective flyways (Atlantic / Miss.).

Sad they come here...

7. dixielabs

dixielabs Elite Refuge Member

See you Friday.;)

8. JDAWG

JDAWG Senior Refuge Member

You can have Guntersville, just don't take Weiss from us.:D

I'm 45min from the bama line and 55 min to Atlanta, I like the bama odds.:)

9. duckwho

duckwho Senior Refuge Member

hey staggerlee, i didnt realize georgia was such a hotspot for ducks, why in the world have i been headen west to hunt, i shoulda been goin east.
    if you know of any hotspots over there would you please share.

10. staggerlee

staggerlee Senior Refuge Member

duckwho,

Actually, I don't know of any spots myself in Ga. But I do have some friends that live closer to the coast that take more ducks than I do most of the time. And from that, I've always assumed (perhaps inaccurately) that they take more ducks than we do for reasons of simple geography. I could be wrong.

Truthfully, I was just throwing my gripe into the category...but not because of hunters coming to Bama...but more so because I haven't taken too many birds this year and the frustration sometimes leaks out.