Outboard Covers or 12v block heaters?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by smashdn, Jan 3, 2018.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Anybody do anything like this?

http://outboardcovers.com/hk/custom-outboard-covers/heated-outboard-covers/

That outfit is out of Hong Kong unfortunately.

I want something (other than a new motor) that will help with getting my outboard to start easier/quicker when it is bitterly cold. I drained the boat's batteries this past Sunday trying to get it to crank.

I fully realize that there are several variables that I can improve to get it to crank easier, hotter batteries, making 100% sure I have pumped the bubble till firm and got gas in the carbs, hot fresh gas, sea foam/startron/heet etc. But flooding happens, chargers don't get hooked up, etc. I just want some extra insurance.

2. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

If you can get near an outlet, I've wrapped an electric blanket around the motor with a canvas tarp over the blanket.i used to have a stubborn cold weather mudder and did this often. I'd unplug and keep the covers on with bungies and a ratchet strap and travel an hour with no issues.
    Im in mn also...

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Ether with upper cylinder lube which most of it has

mmayes likes this.
  4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I dug around and that group had a us site. 324 plus shipping and I can have a combo cover.

I don't have easy access to 110 is my issue. My boat stays in a metal barn a decent ways away from the house. I can bring it down near the garage but it will be uncovered. If it rained or snowed it would fill or get covered in frost. I was hoping this thing would run on 12v and I could plug into the batteries (which would be getting charged while driving, hopefully).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Your motor should start better than it is. Something isn’t in good order. Using Premium fuel in my Yamaha made starting faster. Make sure your battery is up to par with fast crankiing that it shoud have. I throw the charger on it over night before a hunt. Be real careful with using starting fluid. If there is no spark and you keep spraying and cranking and then suddenly there is spark, you can blow the thing to chet.