Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Outdoorsman radio show WCBM680

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Feb 11, 2012.

1. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Did anyone listen to it this morning? (5am-7am)

I really enjoy the show and listen to it almost religously, every Saturday morning.

However, I took exception to his 2 hr topic this week, which was hunting licenses rate increases.

Evidently, Mr. Ellis is for and advocated a rate increase to the license fees, now he didnt say how much but eluded to doubling the current fee and even threw the number 250.00 dollars around alot. Some callers and emailers took exception to it as well, and I was disappointed to hear Mr. Ellis call these people stupid, dumb and idiots because they dont feel a rate increase is justifiable.

I am absolutely opposed to a rate increase of ANY kind, and I wanted to call in to express my opinion, but I wasn't pleased with the way he was treating callers in opposition.

I think before a "radio personality" gives the legislature any ideas on the airwaves, they should think about it first and at least give respect to those in opposition of the ideas.

Other than wanting to see more songbirds in the woods and some how, by giving the State more money will somehow accomplish this, he gave no reason or comforts as to where the additional monies were needed and for that matter....going.

Im 100% certain, the DNR could use more money.....but, people just dont have any more money to give, especially living in a state that has a proven tract record of misusing the funds it already has.

We are picked clean.

I thought Mr. Ellis handled this topic very poorly.

He did give a nice shout out to GooseMD (M and A Outfitters) which I though was very nice.

2. carolina girl

3. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

It's for the children and working families

4. carolina girl

He said, there hasnt been a license fee rate increase in 25 years.

I dont think he has his facts right, which is even more disheartning. (or maybe I dont)

5. Osprey

Osprey Elite Refuge Member

I didn't listen this morning, it's just out of range here at the house, but I have talked with Allan at length this week about this and other DNR stuff going on. He has his own opinions, but I'm not so sure about the increase. If I thought it would be used for something worthwhile the increase would be justifiable, especially as long as it's been since an increase in fees, but I have no confidence they can keep O'Taxme from robbing it for other stuff, and damn little confidence even in how DNR spends the money from some of the things they do.

They're already going try and push through antler restrictions on sikas on us, and of course want us to pay more for the privelege of it. I'm really thinking of only hunting on my own farm next year so I can tell them to stick their license monies.

6. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

Chris what were his justifications(rationalisations) for his opinion? Beyond small griping a slight rise in the price wouldn't mean that much but something as drastic as $250 is a way over the line.

We should all keep our eyes open to the possability that the thieves in Annapolis are listening to him so we can stay out ahead of this thing.

I agree with Osprey that we can't trust that they do what they say.

Bert

7. carolina girl

Bert,
    None whatsoever, other than it hasnt been raised in 25 years and the additional monies would birth songbirds he hasnt seen in the woods for years.

I didnt mind his opinion, but I took offense to the way he handled those in oposition.

Had you of called into the show and expressed it, he'd of called you an "idiot".

8. Osprey

Osprey Elite Refuge Member

I think it's been 15 since an increase, but of course that isn't counting extra new stuff like furbearer permits, etc. Haven't heard $250 either. I'm thinking that was either a possiblity for NR's or he said "up to $50" and it came out fast. Waiting to see actual Bill text (yes, it will have to go through Legislature) but I'm hearing the 40-50 range for resident consolidated, which would include everything except waterfowl. Of course I've also heard rumor of a turkey stamp, so until there are details on paper who knows?!

9. carolina girl

Osprey, I think he was throwing 250.00 around hypothetically (hapazardly as well).....again, he mentioned nothing of the amount of increase, but eluded to alot.

10. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure what a license cost in Maryland but in Delaware it's a steal for the price that it is and for a season of enjoyment. As long as it went to wildlife, they can charge me what they want. Maybe it would weed out some douchebag hunters too.