Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Outdoorsman radio show WCBM680

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Feb 11, 2012.

1. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Steve,

I have heard from 5 people that say they were either at WAC meetings or stakeholder meetings, every one of them said they came away with the impression that it was going to be a small increase. None of them are stupid people, they all understand English, and I cannot believe that in early February DNR didn't know they were going ask to effectively double the rates. So, I am not really faulting you guys for letting them gloss over what you thought was going to be a small increase, but if they had said "we're not sure if its going to be $95 or $98 for the new consolidated license" then I would have expected that this "dialog" would have started then and there, protocols be damned. Instead, you should all be offended because you were all sent out of the meetings like a bunch of unwitting "shills".

Now, if I sound a little offended its because for a few years I've been beating everyone I know in State government over the head with the loss of the aviation department, defending DNR tracking devices, etc. while working directly with the NRP officers, who incidentally have no idea what is going on in Annapolis and just hope they don't run out of gas while on patrol.

And so I wait, respectfully, having asked several times, for someone to answer the following questions-
    WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU NEED THE EXTRA MONEY FOR? and;

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THE INCREASED FEES (not historical trends, I'm talking about the specific impact of these fees) TO DO TO HUNTER RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION AND WHAT DO YOU BASE THOSE PROJECTIONS ON?

If I ever get an answer then I may have some follow up questions.

Edit- Paul, I understand the chain of command, but if you aren't the guy that can answer the questions, then who is?

2. sapidusandsuds

sapidusandsuds Senior Refuge Member

But you didn't answer my question. Nonetheless, I'll follow in a separate post with the info you want.

3. Osprey

Osprey Elite Refuge Member

I can't speak to MDA as a whole, and lord knows I don't want to, but skeeter control would be comparable, I would think, to W&H as a splinter of it. My point is that as far as I know we only have general funds and they go down every year, not up, not constant, but down. You have two fairly steady streams of revenue in license sales and Pittman/Robertson. Seems like a luxury compared to other state agencies.

And for the other, remember that I'm wearing two hats here, mainly as a writer. Heck, even MDA keeps telling me I'm not an employee, rather a contractor, actually a ward of DLLR until April.

Not like I said you guys had a monoply, either, we had one of the crookedest people I've ever known, thankfully he's passed on now...

4. sapidusandsuds

sapidusandsuds Senior Refuge Member

Actually, if the mods and others here don't mind, I'd like to start a fresh thread following on Chop's respectful and legitimate request. Standby for that . . .

5. eyeonyou

eyeonyou Elite Refuge Member

Whoa guys, lets slow down a little, please. For those following this thread and I know there are many, most of the "posters" here are really good guys and are all very well versed in law, proper procedure, and chain of command. This is obviously a very serious issue, thus the number of pages on this thread alone. I will also say that I have personally worked with each of these guys at one time or another and ALL share the same common concern for the resources that we all are so concerned about and how our future with them can continue. This is a great conversation and Im glad we can all see it, but Im getting concerned of the perception that may be viewed by some of the "unknowing". Chop is an excellent States Attorney and has been a HUGE asset in assiting us, NRP, in the prosecution of of many cases here in Caroline county. Paul has certainly put his pound of flesh on the table too many times to count, and I stand behind his thoughts, because as previously mentioned there may be more to this that He is aware of that we all may never know. Now the Mayor, has certainly always been in the positive in my view for all he has done for the good of the cause. I just hate to think that some may be reading all of this and think that these guys are not all on the same page. I don't really think that is what is going on here. The Osprey is another that I forgot to mention, but too strongly feel is absolutely here with the best of intentions in mind. Don't know why I felt like saying all of this, but I did feel it needed to be said. Eye

6. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

steve, again with all do respect and sorry if my ability to express via type what im thinking BUT

i hope every soprtmans/hunting org/ club/ lease member looses their mind over this! i hope the hate and discontent for the polices and disconnect between the common "sportsman" and the dnr gleams bright as the sun!. its about time we stop laying down stand up and say enough is enough, im tired of hiding! this is crap were always carrying the load, the line and footing the bill.

now i respect paul, a lot of nrp officers and a ton of the dnr staff. i have have terrific interactions with them and my anger isnt towards them, but at the same time i will not accept "this is the only way' or "we tried to raise funds from everyone" cause you know what they keep comming back to us " the sportsman" because we rolled over and never were the squeeky wheel!

7. Osprey

Eye, no doubt there are a lot of tempers flaring and sometimes the issues, the Department and the people run together. It's tough, because I know and respect most of the individual people (well, not Scotty of course) but I don't believe "The Department" always has our best interests at heart. Of course that may just be part of a larger view of all government in this state.

Even with that I still think most of this is good. You get an honest, unfiltered view of what people think on here, most just seem more willing to spout off in a thread than they would in more civilized settings.

I'll be the first to take a new tack and say something positive. I'm positive that in the past three weeks, between reg concepts, proposals and bills DNR has managed to PO just about every hunter and boater in this state. :dv

8. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

Well Dave I for one am not POd by DNR who are trying to adjust in a terrible economy with a government who should have seen this coming for 3 years. Yet they still spent our tax money imprudently on other crap. Paul , like every other head of anything including a household, has to plan for the future with limited and declining resources. We will all need to pay for these services more than we do now. He also has the cojones to answer questions on this board some posed by those who have no understanding about managing a multimillion dollar budget. We all profess to love the resource yet we spend our time attacking the folks charged with prerserving it instead of supporting them. This is the epitome of foolishness. Again if one isn't working actively to help them, that person is a hypocrite. Let's hear some positive suggestions not just whining. They may not always have your best interest at heart but they do care deeply about the resource.

9. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Lets be honest here, Dr..........we've all seen the pics you post on here, your fishing trips and duck/goose hunts with Yellowdog, ungava and many other heads of DNR. To say your opinion of this matter is a bit biased is an understatement. In your defense, I wouldnt throw my friends under the bus either and respect you for it. Please dont take offense to this, although you may.

I dont only feel its Paul's job as the head of W/H, its his duty to come and address his costumer base.....and many thanks for doing so.

I dont want the facts from a radioshow personality and his 9 listeners. I want it from the head of Wildlife and Heritage.
    Respectfully to all.

10. Osprey

Doc, I gladly support DNR when it's deserved, but to support and follow blindly just makes you a sheep. And sooner or later sheep get sheared.