Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Outfitting and Guiding Public Hearing Reminder

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by brycec, Dec 4, 2012.

1. brycec

brycec Senior Refuge Member

Reminder of the upcoming hearings with IOGLB and the waterfowl/turkey outfitting and guiding proposals. Idaho Falls is tonight, Burley tomorrow night!

The IOGLB is looking to expand waterfowl and turkey outfitting and guiding in Idaho on both private and public land. Show up and voice your opinion, submit by email to licensing@oglb.idaho.gov.

When: Location: Where:
    12/04/2012, 7pm-10pm Idaho Falls, ID @ Shilo Inn Suites Hotels, 780 Lindsay Boulevard

12/05/2012, 7pm-10pm Burley, ID @ Best Western Burley Inn and Convention Center, 800 N Overland Ave.

12/11/2012, 7pm-10pm Nampa, ID @ Nampa Civic Center, 311 3rd St South

12/12/2012, 7pm-10pm Boise, ID @ Boise Hotel and Conference Center, 3300 Vista Ave

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im submitting by e-mail

One thing I would like to add
    When I attended input meeting for the rules and regulations we wanted changed in Minnesota .

We were clean and addressed the group in a shirt and tie, even a few times in a suit.
    As silly as it seems our input was taken more serously, and as a minortiy our input changed a lot of laws

3. Quedup

Quedup Senior Refuge Member

It was a joke. The Outfitting and Guiding board has made up there mind. It is a money game & it is not if but when. The guy from IWA was awsome. I think he put the fear of God into the three guys from the Board.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Any more details

5. Quedup

Quedup Senior Refuge Member

From Rick Martin on facebook IWA page

Rick Martin Idaho Waterfowl Association

about an hour ago ? ..I attended the Idaho Falls meeting last night and there were 17 total attending. If my memory serves me right, in the end, 15 were opposed to this and wanted the moratorium to stay in place and 2 leaned for it but there was no one who out and out favored the proposal. It was a very vocal group and the OGBL got chastised multiple times for not providing information to the public that could have been useful in actually knowing more about this proposal. It didn?t help when I told the group that I had to file for information pertaining to the Private Land Owner survey under Idaho's Public Records Law. When I spilled this out to the group, it really set not only Director Jake Howard on his heels, but also Dick Garner, facilitaor, and Chairman Hunsucker. They didn?t realize that I would bring this up and after the meeting outside, I had numerous individuals come up to me and want more information, and by the OGLB hiding and not being up front with the group did not set well.

The information from the private land owner?s survey was not totally accurate and only small snippets were even presented to the public that attended the meeting.

The attendees focused a lot on the fact that the OGLB is funded directly from selling outfitter and guide licenses and it was/is like the fox guarding the hen house.

Even the couple of private land owners in attendance who came with an open mind and no agenda or preconceived decision on this issue, really laid it on the OGLB in that they did not like the OGLB telling them what they could or could not do with their private property.

The consensus of individuals I talked to outside of the meeting room was that if this is really going to be stopped, and the OGLB made to listen to the public's input, our legislators are going to have to be involved, and they should be invited to these meetings.

The group as a whole was really disappointed as to how the OGLB kept this meeting/hearing so hush hush and no information was given in the papers or to the local media so others really knew about the meeting so more could attend.

For those of you who have not followed nor have been deeply involved in this issue in the past, will have the feeling that all of the information presented by the OGLB to the public is totally accurate and not misleading. But, and this is my own opinion, having read the Waterfowl/Turkey Advisory Group meeting minutes and having sat in on a couple of the teleconferences, realize that only the information that the OGLB wants the public to have is actually presented and it is skewed in favor of the OGLB and the proposal.

With that said, if you are attending one of the upcoming meetings, do not, do not, just let the information presented be your only information you base your comments on. The OGLB indicated that they are going to lean on the biological and sociological information that they receive to help make this decision. So much of this has already been given by not only the IWA but the Idaho Wild Turkey Foundation and the F&G but the OGLB is ignoring it. Also folks, if you don?t realize it, which many in attendance didn?t, the F&G can only provide input to the OGLB but the OGLB does not have to accept nor take their input. The OGLB can do as they want even though the F&G manages Idaho?s Wildlife.

Also, I encourage everyone to watch the OGLB website for public input and comments as this continues to evolve. And see if the OGLB and facilitator for this meeting actually post up any rebuttals to comments made. Many more comments were made but these are some of the highlights.

Bottom line to me and the many that attended, do not let up, this is a very poor proposal and is only there to benefit those with money and not Idaho?s sportsmen or Idaho?s public.

With that I have said enough, but, please please get the masses out to these meetings and if at all possible, bring your legislators and get the information on the radio, in the papers, and everywhere you can to get more and more people to these meetings.

Good luck
    Rick Martin

6. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Yepper, i agree with Quedup, go to the IWA facebook page folks to read it all. and its just the tip of the iceberg. If anyone wants more detail or info, shoot me a PM. Ill pass more on and also any documents that I based my public tesitmony on.

Bring your guns folks and attend attend and attend, bring everyone you know and flood the comments.

Rick

A couple more quick notes that I made mention of during the hearing that set Jake Howard and Dick Garner on their heels on whas this: I said that Jake had made a comment during a F&G commission meeting that there would be outfitting for turkey and waterfowl, and I thoght it was in 2009 or 10, but it was at the F&G Commission meeting of 8/24/11. Here is what is recorded from that meeting directly from those notes:

"Director Howard reported that IOGLB will conduct a survey of landowners to understand their
    perspective on the activity and what their expectations are. A survey of user groups will follow.
    The Board hopes to move forward together with Idaho Department of Fish and Game and the
    Commission. Mr. Howard stated that there would be some limited form of outfitted turkey and
    waterfowl hunting. The Board wants to make a good decision and will continue discussion with
    the Department."

It also goes to the comment that Dick Garned and Jake Howard made as to the Private Land Owner Survey came out of consensus by the Waterfowl/Turkey Advisory Group and that is why they proceeded with the Private Land Owner Survey. To further my comment that it was not, here are a few other direct taken comments from either the Advisory Group meetings and/or from IOGBL minutes:

In draft #3 of the final report that was prepared by Dick Garner, he states, "The group recommends that a survey of landowners should be done in conjunction with the USDA Agricultural Statistics Service to determine the extent and terms of leasing to individuals, hunting clubs, or outfitters in prime waterfowl and/or turkey habitat. Solid data on hunting clubs and private hunting leases is the best way to address the fears of sportsmens’ groups about the loss of open access to hunting grounds." This report was never approved, nor was that suggestion ever a consensus as I mentioned at the hearing. In fact that did not come out of a sugestion from the Advisory Group, but, came from the OGLB even though it was suggested by Director Howard and Facilitator Garner that it came from the Advisory Group. I have reviewed all of the Advisory Group minutes and group suggested that all user groups should be consulted and surveyed, but, the OGLB decided to do a Private Land Owner Survey only.

What was discussed, but not in detail took place during the June 3, 2010 meeting was this:

"The group was then asked if they had ideas on other policy actions that could be added to
    the list. Two were discussed:
    ? A future survey of farmland in waterfowl and/or turkey habitat to determine the extent
    of leasing to either clubs, individuals, or guides. This could be useful to address
    perceptions with facts and to guide the limits that might be placed on the amount of
    outfitting allowed.
    ? A future survey of hunting clubs. An obstacle to doing this is the lack of information
    about the number and location of hunting clubs."

It was discussed but never approved by the Advisory Group nor was any further mention of this after this meeting that I can find. As I stated, and in my opinion, the OGLB was selectively pulling information from the Advisory meetings and from the Private land survey to be used to benefit their side of the issue instead of providing all of the information to al the public.

Also, several questions came up as to how the moritorium resulted and not a lot of firm foundation was provided. But, in one of the Advisory group meetings, 8/21/10, Mike Stoddard, President, Idaho State Chapter, National Wild Turkey Federation reminded the group that, "Public opinion in 2002 survey was clearly opposed to outfitting. Stick to the moratorium and apply it to prohibit outfitting for all birds."

There is so much information that was not provided to the public that pertains to this issue, and I made mention of this, that, the public is really hindered in making a rational decision pro or con to this issue, and the OGLB should be and needs to be held accountable for not posting all the information that is available that has taken place for years and years.

Keep asking questions folks and make them produce the information that they have. Remember, they are supposed to work for you, not they work for very specific user or interest groups, which this Agency has turned into. Again, all my opinion, but, i think once everyone has full access to all the minutes, notes, emails, etc, everyone will have a very different opinion of how the OGLB is working.

7. Wally Dog

Wally Dog Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the updates fellas!
    WD

8. brycec

brycec Senior Refuge Member

Great job by those that attended out submitted online comments, keep them coming or attend your local meeting. Public outcry will be needed to kill this.

9. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Did anyone go to the Burley meeting last night?

10. pup4sell

pup4sell Refuge Member

WE went and it started off on the wrong foot and got worse from there, but about the time we were ready to leave and a few guys called them out for being very unprofessional they started to settle down . It seems like they are on the fight from word one and when you ask many questions they would flare right up. I think we gave some very good suggestions one being they could actually leave it at the four outfitters that are grandfathered in and not issue any new licenses and be fine then nothing changes. I see what they are trying to use as their concerns but feel that its a smoke screen.