Outstanding!- Crab stuffed bluegill

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Banded1, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Based off this recipe with some modifications to my liking.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/crab-stuffed-flounder-recipe/index.html

Season 10-12 fillets bluegill fillets with creole seasoning and juice from 1/2 lemon.

Crab mixture- 3/4 lb crab meat (I used the meat from 1 1/4 lb of king crab)

Mix with 20 crushed townhouse crackers, 1/2 beaten egg, 2 tbsp melted butter, 2 tbsp mayo, 1 tsp brown mustard, 1 finely diced jalape?o, 2 entire scallions, 2 minced/mashed garlic cloves, juice from other lemon 1/2, black pepper to taste, creole seasoning to taste.

Start grill on high heat. For charcoal have a mound of coals on one side of grill and nothing on the other.

Melt 2 tbsp butter and coat the inside of an iron skillet and pour off excess for later use. Place a layer of fillets in skillet then add crab mixture evenly on top. Add remaining fillets on top of crab leaving some of the crab mixture exposed. Pour remaing butter over top.

Place skillet on grill and close lid. After 5 minutes turn gas grill to med-low setting or for charcoal move skillet to cooler side. Will be done in about 20 minutes but check for doneness before.

Drizzle a little more lemon juice over top and serve.

2. illini36

illini36 Elite Refuge Member

Sounds incredible! I bet you could substitute the blue gill for any other firm freshwater fish as well (crappie, walleye, etc)

3. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

I was wondering that too. Just put up some channel cat fillets last weekend and this recipe sounds fantastic.. drool drool.

4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure just about any kind of good fish would work. Next time I have some fresh coho I may try it. The recipe was for flounder which aren't all that abundant in this part of the world.

I made it again for the second time last night. This time on a charcoal grill rather than gas. Used a few mesquite chips for some smokiness and it was slightly better than last week. Between running down to the lake to catch the bluegills and buying crab I'm gonna go broke!