Over and under ?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Wareaglebrowning, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

This is Great advise and with a little time spent researching this sight you'll find some great deals .
    Something to think about , depending on if this O/U is to be used for waterfowling ( as what's been said ) Citori's ( 325 ,425,525,625 and 725 along with XT's )
    are 2 3/4" chambered , the Waterfowl Citori can be had with a 3 1/2" chamber . I don't believe there's any advantage to the longer chamber , if you reload !

2. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

I have two OUs and three sxs's and all are centered. The lever opens to the right.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Those five guns have been used a lot, gadwall.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

OK, I wasn't clear.

As shotguns wear, (and we are basically talking some type of clay gun here, I doubt anyone would shoot a duck gun enough to matter), the lockup mechanism will wear. As it wears, the lever will want to move to center. If there is no room for the lever to move, (if it started there) the action will just get sloppy.

IF an action, when new, is already at center, it will 'wear out' sooner. IF the lever starts to the right, it will take longer to wear out.

I just sent my SKB in for work last Fall. Action would break open if the top barrel was shot first. Didn't happen on on the bottom barrel. Sent it in, and they built the action back up. Lever is now slightly right of center.

ANY trap shooter who examines a gun for possible purchase will pay close attention to the lever. If it is dead center, it suggests the gun has been shot a lot.

Tuleman likes this.
  5. gadwall52

Nope bought the 101 brand new doubt if I've run a case of shells through it. Lab 200s were bought used through hardly had a mark on them. Stoger uplander was bought new though still dead center. Maybe we are talking Apple's and oranges here.

6. gadwall52

20180129_202945.jpg

7. gadwall52

20180129_203015.jpg

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Apples and oranges possibly. I've never seen a new Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Browning, or Beretta O/U that did not have a lever to the right of center.
    Also never have seen a Kreighoff, Perazzi, Kolar, or Blazer with lever to right.
    Even my new TriStar Setter O/U...which was the quintessential crapgun, now fortunately gone....had a lever to the right.

I've never handled a Stoeger O/U, though, so they may be the exception to the rule. I am surprised that your new Winchester has a centered lever.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yep , if your lever isn't to the right of center on any break-open gun , you're on borrowed time !
    The block and cam are essential to its lockup ! You really get what you pay for , when purchasing a O/U .......:yes

10. gadwall52

The only other OU I bought new , a SKB 500 skeet had a similar lever position. Sadly it was stolen. I doubt if any field gun can be worn out with normal use.