owma field report

Discussion in 'Nevada Flyway Forum' started by JDK, Nov 16, 2017.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

well hunted owma on Tuesday the 14th and fields need to be cut badly cannot see decoys as the crop is so tall spoke to the supervisor by phone and asked if they could call the farmer to cut down the crop so the fields are huntable said would do so and see what the farmers schedule is like hoping this gets done this week as I hate wasting my time getting a permit and driving there wasting fuel money and not being able to hunt a field as the crops are too tall and birds cannot see your decoys guess we are at the mercy of the farmer I do not get many opportunities to waterfowl hunt so it is a short season for me roughly 8 to 9 days a season ,

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. HEVI ON HONKERS

HEVI ON HONKERS Elite Refuge Member

Same thing every year I’ll go some were else tell it’s cut . Utah

3. HEVI ON HONKERS

Got a Sheep hunt with a buddy starts Monday so I may not be there for a while and that’s ok but for all of us the Seasons not that long and they need to have the Famer Cut the fields a week before the Opener

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

For anyone thwt spends anytime there,they would realize that fields were cut week before opener.Warm tempatures cause rapid growth.We hunted a private field so tall we almost didn't spot the geese using this tall field,luckily we saw them set up with mostly sentries and killed 2 geese each.OWMA is what it is,phone call was made to supervisors after the fact,could have easily been made prior to the hunt.

5. HEVI ON HONKERS

Maybe with the cold weather coming this next weekend the hay will stop growing and start to lay down it has been pretty warm probably his 4 or 5 Cut

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Steve hunted 17 Thursday said forlf was not tall at all.Maybe this ione of them there trolling posts;)

7. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Kudos to supervisor at owma for taking on the task of cutting the fields after we spoke last week as farmer is not ready to do so yet from what i was told from one of the employees at owma so area supervisor cut a good section out of the fields so they can be hunted and look very good until farmer can cut the rest :tu

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017