PA attempting to ban Tower/Flyer Shoots

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by 3-1/2in.steel, Apr 25, 2011.

1. 3-1/2in.steel

3-1/2in.steel Elite Refuge Member

2. gunner29

gunner29 Senior Refuge Member

No offense but they should so should every other state. Its not ethical, not sportsman like, and by no means fair chase. Just because lazy rich europeans did it for years doesn't make it ethical. Hunters hunt not stand there and have game thrown at them.

3. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

This isn't a hunting issue. It isn't a gun control issue.

It may be a tradition in PA, but it isn't really a hot issue with me.

Not that I care much about pigeons one way or the other.

Some questions to be considered:

What is the goal of the shoot? That is, is it anything more than a test of wing shooting skills?

Do pigeons feel pain? Yes, they do.

Are the dead pigeons eaten? They are good to eat, BTW. At least country pigeons are.

What are the benefits of this activity?

The downside to banning pigeon shoots: It may open a wedge for PETA-types to move against actual hunting activities, particularly on RSAs.

4. 3-1/2in.steel

3-1/2in.steel Elite Refuge Member

David your last point is the one that concerns me. I do not participate in these shoots and I really do not consider them sporting BUT my concern is where will the line be drawn. it opens the door.

5. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for your note. I don't have an answer.

6. Overkill67

Overkill67 Elite Refuge Member

Yea I can see this leading to any "pen" raised bird hunts being the next target if they win this one.

7. Baysider

Baysider Senior Refuge Member

I didnt get the point either at first when reading this. David that was a good point you made there. It is the erosion of our rights as hunter we must keep a watchful eye on.

8. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what the status of this issue is but I'll tell you why I like a tower shoot. They have them around here from time to time, costs is $100 for 10 pheasant. Ten shooters next to round bales spaced around the tower and are backed by 10 dog handlers. After the first flight of birds are shot the shooters and handlers swap spots. It is good exposure to young dogs to shooting and birds, a good refresher for older dogs before season, and provides some game to take home.

KY hunters that choose to hunt cranes this season are likely to face some protest as the anti and bird watching community have been very vocal against allowing the season to happen failing to appreciate that the monies that sportsman provide due to special taxes and stamps goes to the ground and animals that they want to enjoy.