Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Pacific Flyway report

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Nov 26, 2017.

1. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

This area is all new to me (Humboldt County CA), I've been in Salisbury for 39 years and know the ES of MD fairly well so this new phase of my waterfowl life is exciting and challeging.

I've read on the Internet, talked to some "Young bucks", talked to the salesmen at Local sporting goods stores etc etc etc and was told of all the great "walk in" arera's for Ducks and Brant here.

I also have had the good fortune to meet some Local retired Duck hunters and pick their brains about hunting area's that can be hunted out of boats as I only have a kayak.

The hardest part of the foot work/scouting was finding places to launch that are safe when these Pacific winds start to howl.

I did the math this evening on my 1st month in the Pacific Flyway,
    The weather here has been mild, no wind, and I've been thru a complete Moon phase.

Walk in Hunts Duck/Brant 0.00 birds per day average

Kayak in Hunts for Ducks 5.67 Birds per day average

I think I'll be doing a lot of kayaking the next 60 days.

Best of luck
    David

Md Hunter likes this.
  2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

5.67 birds per day for an average sounds really good. what do you think you average was here in Maryland? Glad you have found some fowl there in Ca

3. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I am sure it was less than 5.67 the way our seasons have been.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

You're allowed 7 ducks (all mallards in) in CA and they don't have black ducks. 5.67 there is like 2 in Maryland.

5. drahthaarducker

This is whats crazy. I drive past the walk in area's around home all the time in the AM or when out seeing Patients.
    The parking lot's are full.
    Where I launch the kayak I have never seen another hunter there.
    The boat in guy's with mud motors I've seen 3 all season.
    I shoot a 20 GA and pick up my shells, and I've found some 12 ga around my usual spots but not many.
    I trully believe everyone is waiting for the rain to flood the ponds and don't have a whole lot of interest in tidal marsh hunting.

6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Aren,t there critters along that coast that will eat a swimmer? I,ve seen you have had a tendency to swamp a boat a few times in the past!

drahthaarducker likes this.
  7. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

David, my experience south of you, below SF, was similar to yours. We hunted out on the public tidal marsh and found great numbers of greater and lesser blackheads, cans and goldeneyes. Never saw another hunter. Locals we talked to wondered why anyone would shoot those "stinky ducks" on the bay. I've always thought it was because they were spoiled with so many pintails, widegon and teal in the impounded areas that they just didn't need to hunt the bigger water.

B2M

drahthaarducker likes this.
  8. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Welcome to the Pacific Flyway. I live in SoCal near the Mexican border and hunt mostly from inflatable kayaks. Opens up a world of possibilities because they fit in the trunk of a car and as checked baggage on airlines. From the Bering Sea to the Everglades. Hope to take it to New England one day. I leave for Cold Bay on Monday with my kayak. Humboldt is on my bucket list too. 2016-01-26 08.22.54.jpg 20170117_123514.jpg 20170117_115544.jpg

JD1107 likes this.
  9. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

10. drahthaarducker

Very cool
    PM me for launch details