Decoy Forum Sponsors

Packable Dakota Mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by freefall, Oct 26, 2018.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone used them?

If so, are they good about returning to form? Is the paint holding up?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Rogers has the Doz pack on sale, including a Texas Rig pack for 'free'. Mine are on the way.
    I am NOT crazy about the styles, though the more upright look might actually help me, since I hunt smaller water often. They might stand out more.
    I keep downsizing the amount of dekes I put in the bag for my longer walk-ins, as I am not getting any younger. Lighter decoys is an attractive thought.

3. freefall

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm looking for something lighter. I like the pictures but I'd hate to blow the cash on something that's not going to perform. I worry about how well they'll re inflate, especially on cold days.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, I will review when I get em, but they are being kinda slow in shipping. (comment, not a complaint) Still show 'in warehouse'.

I plan on targeting just the lower heads. Often times I only take 6-8 decoys. One or 2 high head, the rest lower. Mix in some of my GHG skimmer heads. I hunt a river, and when the birds a feeling secure, all the heads are skimming the surface.

freefall likes this.
  5. SPOONKILR

SPOONKILR Elite Refuge Member

I have a dozen that I have been hunting and I have mixed reviews! they look good on the river! They take some "training" to get them to inflate properly. The thing that drives me crazy is they need to be refreshed (air wise) before each hunt. I will take some pics next time out on the river and postem up so you guys can judge the look. BW

freefall likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Any idea why?

7. freefall

I have the lucky ducks and over the off season they warped and cannot be brought back to stay in the original form. Very frustrating.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have the White Rocks, and they too will do that. You aren't supposed to leave them collapsed (White Rocks call it out on the package never to store them that way). On the White Rocks, there is a hole in the back so you can inflate them. Put them in a tub of water as hot as you can get it, and heat the entire decoy. Hit them with compressed air, and hold the hole closed so it stays pressurized until it cools completely. Worked for mine.

freefall likes this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

So, they arrived.
    Keep in mind, these are the first new decoys I have bought in 15 years or so. All my current decoys are fully flocked GHG's that Don Mintz did for me. As mentioned before, I was looking for something lighter for long walks. My bag is plenty big enough for 18 decoys, but I usually just bring 6-8. It is all the 'other' stuff in my blind bag and such that makes the overall weight harder. I usually put the blind bag on top of the decoys, so it is all in one bag (including my gun, which sits in a sleeve on the side) leaving one hand free, one hand for my folding chair, which doubles as a walking stick (cow tracks in mud which have hardened will trip you up in a heartbeat.

So, looks wise, I like em. It does not appear the 'finish' will chip or peel, seems built in. Flocking on the drake heads is very nice, and also appears tough. They are all inflated now (more on that later) and hanging near the fireplace (not too near) to 'relax' from all the shipping folds. Looking at them from across the room, I think they look great.

Leakers- 3 of them won't hold air very well. One is really bad, you can watch it deflate in 10 seconds. A quick 'full sink' test says it is the air plug. I have it pressed in as hard as I can, and the water is warm, but no dice. The other two are not as bad, but deflate in 1 minute or less. The rest seem great. Also, on the bad one, it appears the molding process didn't work right on the inflation tube, as it is very hard to blow up (plugged). All the others are easy. I stuck a pair of skinny forceps in there, and there is defiantly something blocking the airway. It is way down the tube, so that is not the sealing problem.

Rogers Deal-Texas Rig: I don't TR my dekes, as I individually bag my flocked dekes, and wrap the line around the keel. I also have to use BIG J-weights, because of the river. Well, because when the river starts to freeze, ice chunks will take an underweighted decoy right down the river. When it is really bad, I put big rocks over the weight/line. A pain, no doubt, but better than losing decoys (or chasing them down the river)
    Anyway, these TR's are nice, and I will not be bagging these, so I can actually use the clip on the loops, and toss em in the bag. I have always agreed that is a great way to carry/deploy dekes, it just didn't work for me. While I am working skinny water, these will be a joy to put out.

I will be talking to Rogers (not their fault) and Dakota about the leakers, and will report what they say. IMO, this is not a deal breaker. You look at the 3/4 inflated decoy from across the room, and it isn't that bad. I am OCD, so it will bother me.

stevena198301 and freefall like this.
  10. Native NV Ducker

UPDATE:

Sent messages off to Rogers and Dakota. Dakota has already responded, and asked for my shipping address, as they will send out 3 new decoys.

That is serious 'Stand Behind Your Product' kinda stuff.