Decoy Forum Sponsors

Packable Dakota Mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by freefall, Oct 26, 2018.

1. full choke

full choke Senior Refuge Member

Your search function copy&paste skills are legendary... Let's work on the picture posting skills, ok?

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Why? They look just like the website pics.

3. full choke

Then why have a forum at all? If everything we need to know about a product is available on their website- why come here to discuss?
    Pictures of decoys in hand are always better than air brushed, edited, manipulated images put up on websites to sell decoys.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Ok, you win.

Dakota Packable.JPG

In retrospect, I should have read the instructions. First, I am a guy, and guys don't read instructions. Second, they are decoys. Not like putting together a Ikea Dressser.

They want you to Over Inflate them, first time. That sets the form, I guess. Then, the plug is less important, as (per the instructions) the decoy will self-inflate to the proper form. They also advise that if you are impatient (my words, not theirs) you can run them under hot water while over inflated, and that will soften the plastic and remove the indentations. The Service Guy I talked to via e-mail recommended a hair dryer (or heat gun, but he cautioned to be careful there not to melt the plastic) to do the same thing.

They also caution you don't want to employ the decoy when over-inflated, as it will cause 'rolling' while on the water. That seems pretty obvious.

I responded to the e-mail offer that I thought I could fix the loose plugs by putting a little Lexan or 3M5200 on the plug, putting it in, then taking it out, thus putting a thin coating of sealant on the inside of the hole, then letting it dry, unplugged. He said I could try that, but just concern myself with inflating them, holding the plug tight, then running the hair dryer over them to set the shape. He said that would solve the problem. He said to try that, and in the meantime, my 3 replacements would be sent out ASAP.

The decoys were CRUSHED in the box. Box was 1/2 the size of a normal dozen decoy box. Obviously, they stay that way from the time they are made till you take them out. Thus, the crumpled appearance. Seems obvious, in retrospect, that it would happen. They seem confident by inflating them, they will re-set. From the looks of those hanging on the hallway closet, I agree. (That drake on the right is one not holding air. I think there would be no problem killing ducks over it)
    Dakota Hanging.JPG

stevena198301 and freefall like this.
  5. full choke

Thanks for the pictures!:tu
    Those are better looking decoys than I imagined, the hens especially.

freefall likes this.
  6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

THANK YOU! that's exactly what I needed. I appreciate it. :tu

7. Native NV Ducker

Guys complain about the more 'alert' postures, but as long as they aren't 'ALL' that way, I don't think it matters. Actually makes them more visible. So, "meh" to that. I like skimmers on the river, but that is because when I see 'happy' birds on the river, their heads are all down. I got plenty of skimmers anyway.

Yea, I like em. I will update as the season goes on, but decoys are 5% of the equation, in my opinion. If I am in the right spot, and there are birds around, they could be 1/2 deflated and I would kill birds. I have zero expectation there will be any wear on them at the end of the season, and I will be treating them much worse than I do my flocked dekes (no bags). There 'might' be a scratch or two on the drake flocking. Might.

8. freefall

I wanted something light that I could pack into areas that are long walks.

Like you I'm not worried about the posture. I do like the lighter coloring on the bodies, they pop better.:tu

9. freefall

Like you I'm not worried about the posture. I do like the lighter coloring on the bodies, they pop better.:tu

10. freefall