Decoy Forum Sponsors

Packable Dakota Mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by freefall, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Fair warning. They are not as 'light' as you might expect. That plastic is is thick enough to tell you it will last. Not thin, like those Cherokee inflatables in the past.

Lighter than my GHG's? Yes. WAY lighter? No

2. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Do you believe that collapsing them and re inflating them in the field would present an issue if it's cold? Needless to say I won't have hot water with me to help the bodies return to form.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, depends on what you definition of 'collapsing' is, and how long they stay that way. (ALL of the following is 'opinion', since I have not hunted them yet. That comes tomorrow, I hope)

You have to 'reform' them because they have been in the box so long, and acquired the 'collapsed' shape. From what I understand, you get them out, inflate and warm if necessary, then let sit. You don't need to leave the plugs in. Just the weight of the decoys on top of one another won't deform them. Well, it will, but just slightly, not like when they came out of the box.

So, you have them formed, and sitting on the shelf or in your bag, say, for a week. You go hunting, take em out, give em a puff, and they 'should' come back to the desired shape. Put the plug in, or not (better in, might get a little water in them otherwise) and toss em out.

Now, if you 'crush' them when you put em in your bag, and leave em that way for a month (not sure why we would do that, but for the sake of conversation) I can see them taking on the crushed shape again. So, you would have to go through the process again.

I 'believe', from my handling of them, they are going to be fine, if handled correctly. Meaning, not stored in a 'crushed' shape. Here is my plan. When I get home, I am going to take each one, inflate, go over lightly with a heat gun (carefully) and set the proper shape. Then I am going to let them cool and remove the plugs on some of them. When I put them in the bag tonight, I am going to collapse a few of them, squeezing between the top and bottom, in the middle, so they flatten out, then plug them. When I get to my spot, we will see how they do.

If any of my reviews seem 'slanted' toward Dakota, rest assured that is not the case. I am pleased with them so far, and think they will do well. I WAS impressed with the quick customer service response, but if the decoys suck, that doesn't help much. I know there is a fair amount of interest, so I am trying to give 'real world' experience. By the way, I watched a video last night from a couple of guys who seemed to be in my shoes also. Seemed like an honest review, and they pointed out minor flaws. They also said they would be buying a couple dozen more, and thought they were the best decoys out there. I always take YouTube videos with a grain of salt, but it is out there.

4. Native NV Ducker

Just found this video, from Rogers, comparing most of the popular brands...

5. freefall

That's exactly how I plan on handling them as well. They wont be stored collapsed, itll just be during the transport. Once I get home they'll be stored full of air in full form.

I appreciate all the feedback, I'll be buying a dozen from Rogers today:tu

6. Native NV Ducker

Minor Update:
    When I got home, I laid em all out along my bench. I used a double fold of kitchen plastic wrap around the plug, and used my compressor to blow air (carefully) into the hole, and keep the deke slightly over-inflated as I put the plug in. The plastic wrap seemed (well, DID) solve the slow leak problem. (More on that later)

Then I took the heat gun and quickly/carefully went all over the deke. Just enough to where I could feel the material was 'warm'. You could actually see the plastic (rubber?) relax. Then I set it aside to cool, and went to the next. Probably spent 30 minutes on the dozen. I think the recommendation by Dakota to inflate and then submerge in HOT water would be easier, and quicker, but I don't have hot water downstairs.

After they cooled, I crushed one almost in half, at the middle. Probably took 60-70% of the air out. Put the plug in, and left it for 5 minutes. Then I took the plug out and flexed the decoy around a little. One puff of air, and it was back to the proper shape, and stayed there.

So, in retrospect, I should not have complained about the 'leakers'. I didn't understand the process to bring the dekes back to life after crushed storage. The double wrap of plastic wrap over the plug sealed them all perfectly, even against over-pressure. The plastic wrap won't be needed once the proper form has 'set'.

Dekes are in the bag, plugs out and crammed into the bottom. I am taking 6, plus a couple of my old GHG's for the jerk line, in the morning. I will try to take some pics of the actual set.

Pray for wind for me!!

freefall likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I am not a realism guy but there is no way I could sit and look at those goofy looking things knowing how much I paid for them.

Hey Daffy, cousin it is in that decoy bag...

GK1 likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Yea, I get that.
    But since I believe 80% of being successful is being in the right spot, and staying hidden, some other concerns come into play before the style of a decoy.

Nobody likes pretty decoys as much as I do. Every single other duck decoy I own is fully flocked by Don Mintz. But, they are heavy, and they take up a lot of room. I wanted to solve those problems.

Nothing in this thread is a recommendation anyone should buy them. Simply describing my experience, and hopefully answering some questions.

freefall likes this.
  9. freefall

I dont care for the poses either but they are an answer to a problem.

I wish other guys made a Similar style. Until then they are the best option. :z

10. freefall

I dont care for the poses either but they are an answer to a problem.

I wish other guys made a Similar style. Until then they are the best option. :z