Decoy Forum Sponsors

Packable Dakota Mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by freefall, Oct 26, 2018.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

There are some competitors out there, depending on what you're looking for. You might consider buying some of these Dakotas, and mixing in some Luck Duck Deception decoys. I believe they are made of the same material, and I personally like the looks of them better. I bought mine the end of last season, and they are great. But I don't know yet about durability. Like native said, the color schemes seem to be embedded in the dekes. Also, like he said, they are not super light, but lighter than most regular decoys.

2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Nice review.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

So, went hunting today. Should have said pray for ducks. Had the wind, and even some light snow. Zero shots fired. It happens where I go.
    Overall set- My blind is on the far shore, slightly R of the RH Goose deke.
    DSC01765.JPG

Dakota's from afar...
    DSC01767.JPG

Hen up close... I forgot to take the plastic wrap off the plug
    DSC01770.JPG

Drake up close..
    DSC01771.JPG

freefall likes this.
  4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

That's some beautiful country. :tu

Thank you for the review and time. I'm going to give them a shot. The lighter coloring on the body is nice too. It'll help them pop in shaded areas.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Cont.....

FUD's, just for fun....
    DSC01775.JPG

Tarna wondering why we aren't shooting birds...
    DSC01774.JPG

One of the drakes I brought was leaning to one side. When I looked at it, the keel was folded to that side, so, pulling it over. In retrospect, when I heat treated them, I just set them on the cold basement floor. Duh!!

When I got there, as I said I would, the dekes were crushed, on the bottom of the bag, with FUDs, goose dekes, and my blind bag on top. Then, transported to the blind via cart, strapped down. So, they were under some pressure. After I got em out, I gave em a puff (as someone mentioned in an earlier post) and put the plug back in. The plug really isn't holding any pressure. They all popped right back into shape.

I gotta give Kudo's to all those guys that use true Texas Rigs. All my other dekes are texas rigged, but with cord, and wrapped, so I can't just grab and toss. It was nice throwing them over my shoulder in the snap hook, taking one loop off the hook, and tossing. I did have to re-set one, which had stayed on it's side. The keels are empty, so maybe a little sand is called for. Then again, the water was only 3" deep there, so the weight couldn't pull it upright.

I will say, I am not a big believer decoy motion via the wind. It is nice and all, but if there is wind, there are no ripples, and I think ripples is what matters when discussing 'motion'. (Just my belief, not a fact by any means) However, if you ARE a believer in decoys dancing around in the wind, these dekes are a consideration. They were dancing pretty good. Some weren't, as the water is pretty skinny there, but if they were free floating, they were dancing. My GHG's, by comparison, barely even swayed.

One last thing, and then I will drop this, unless I need to answer a question.

When I got home, all the keels I left on the basement floor were bent over, so, I grabbed em all and took them to the kitchen, where I filled the sink with hot water, and one electric kettle with boiling water. It was 'just barely' too hot to hold the decoy all the way under for more than 5 seconds. I had puffed them up again, held the plug in, and dipped them for about 20-30 seconds. Then I hung them on the closet door, making sure the keels were straight. THAT is the way to form them. Disregard what I said about using a hair dryer or heat gun. You can 'set' the entire dozen in less than 10 minutes.

6. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

What's the weight difference between these and say a water keel GHG or other decoy made into a water keel?

Seems to me you are doing a lot of work with these decoys for what sounds like, not alot of weight savings.

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Good question. As I mentioned, they are lighter, but not THAT much lighter...

So I weighed em...
    GHG Water Keel Drake Normal Head 1lb 7oz (652 Grams, in case Bang reads this)
    Dakota (pretty much same size/posture) 1lb 3oz (538 Grams)
    Per doz- 4oz savings, X12= 3lbs

Well, 3lbs is 3lbs. I agree, not worth it JUST for the weight. I tried to make that clear in the earlier part of my review.
    However, for me, when I am walking in (no cart) I carry everything in my Cabela's Ultimate Decoy bag. It has a pouch for my gun, and is pretty heavy duty. Dekes go on the bottom, blind bag goes on top. There is usually other stuff in there also, so it is a load. It is sometimes all I can do to get it on. I want the weight as low as possible, but I also don't want my blind bag in the bottom, as I need that before I do anything else when I arrive. Otherwise, I would have to empty the bag, take out the blind bag, and put my dekes back in to set.
    So, with these, the dekes will take up maybe 1/2 the space, meaning the rest of my stuff will sit lower, and easier to haul.

I guess, for me, it was the combination of weight and space. They are a niche decoy, no doubt.

freefall likes this.
  8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Which is exactly why I am interested. The ability to get them into a smaller bag and the fact that they will move easily In a breeze and have brighter colors make them perfect for what I intend to use them for.

I appreciate all the information and help:tu:reader