Decoy Forum Sponsors

Paint - Varnish - Tools - Flocking etc...

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by sdkidaho, Dec 28, 2018.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

There will always be new people looking to build a few decoys, whether for personal satisfaction, a hobby, or maybe even a livelihood. Please share from your experiences.

What brands do you use and prefer? Please tell us why.

On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being the worst and 5 being the best, what brands have you used and what sort of quality rating would you give them, and why?

Where do you buy your products for your decoy builds and why do you use that supplier?

WHUP ! Hen and Billy Bob like this.
  2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I use oil paint, I've used Gamblin, Grumbrachers, Windsor Newton and some other brands I can't recall the name of. I like gamblin and grumbachers, plus a few of the off brand really well. Windsor Newton does work, and I use it a lot because it's cheap, but there are better options.

For thinners, i recommend Gamsol or another odorless mineral spirit, i can't stand the small of turpentine.

You can prep your bird with gesso and seal it with Samsung sealer etc but it's not necessary with oils.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I also use oils. On diver rigs I use Rustolum flat black and white, it holds up good for me. I use Windsor-Newton tube oils and often mix them with rustolum paint black, white and flat brown. I have used other brands of tube paint, but Windsor-Newton works best for me. I seal all my birds with two coats of spar varnish, and sand them down with OOOO steel wool. Decoys that I made 20 years ago have held up fine of course they all have their own bags.

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

My #1 paint is Ronan Superfine Japan Colors. I also use a little Parker's Duck Boat Paint and have used paint from KUSH. I have used Rustoleum in the past, and still use the Hunter Green in a mix I have for mallard heads, but in my opinion the Ronan paint is the best there is. Extremely durable and dries dead flat. Only issue it has is it "scuffs", but 2 light coats of Krylon clear flat finish seals the paint and eliminates that issue. The other "issue" with the Ronan paint is it's cost: $23-$30 a quart. Opposite side of that coin is the pigment value is very high, so you don't end up using as much of it as other things. It also dries to the touch within a matter of minutes so it makes handling the decoys easy when doing multiple colors. Word of warning...do NOT trust ANY color chart for Ronan...they suck. One Rustoleum product I really like is their bonding primer. Sticks to anything and dries quick. Excellent product.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Where do you find rustoleum flat brown? I use rustoleum on my diver drakes and would really like to know where to find the brown. Any certain brand of varnish?

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware...I've seen it in all those.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Wow, I have never seen it in any of those places locally. Maybe I will have to try ordering it. Thank you for the reply.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That's the easy option. I looked, available at lots of places. By the time you get around to needing it, it will have arrived.

Being rural, and 45 miles from even an Ace Hardware, I end up doing this a lot. So, it is usually my first option.

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. slough hunter

slough hunter New Member

I guess I'm the odd man out so far. I use acrylics. I typically use deco art traditions and americanas. After paint I typically put a couple coats of dead flat varnish on. I painted in oils for one year and that's a year of my life I will never get back. I hated every minute of it.

10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

No your not. I use the deco art/traditions, whatever they call it now. I just mix the glaze medium with the paint, what kind of varnish are you using?

I'd really like to try oils I think the birds age better.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.