Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Paint

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Jan 7, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Getting ready to paint 20dz white rock economies using the white rock stencil. Looking for recommendations on which type of spray paint to use.

I've done a lot of deadlies and Sillosocks in the past with brushes but it seems to take forever. How does the rattle can job do vs brushing?

Thansks

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Never used that stencil but make sure the stencil is pressed down or you don't get clean edges. Plus, be careful of too much paint on the stencil when doing the next decoy.

3. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I can't find my old pictures, but search on here for a post by me in 2012 or maybe 2013. I painted a lot of my SS using a custom cut stencil.

I got a cheap spray gun from harbor freight and used black and gray paint for the bags, and some pink/peach mix for the bills. I had a system down where I'd paint about 24 at a time, hang them to dry on a line and get the next 24 ready. By the time I was done with the next, the first ones would be dry enough to put in a box. Took me a long damn time, but at that time, I had a shift job, so I had two weeks of free time.

If I had one person helping me, it'd of gone ALOT quicker.

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Kry-lon flat spray cans is how I did some sky fly's I bought. My homemade stencil was just thin card board I cut /sculpted with an exacto knife. Like was mentioned, to much over spray from the previous decoy on the stencil may bleed/drip onto the next one, making a mess. It was a fun little project.

5. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Used some UV left over black. Just made a simple X. Worked well and quick.

6. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Shot an email off to White Rock. They said a RustOleum or Krylon Ultra Flat. I'm very impressed with their stencil. I bought one from Tracy at deadly yrs ago and it was a lazer cut steel. This white rock one is the same and should be good to work with.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I used Krylon and it was perfect. I made my patterns on some hard plastic sheet material I bought at a dollar store. Very easy to do sharp edges, although not critical. Did 120 in a couple of hours. Don't put on too thick and it dries nearly instantly.

8. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Sorta late, but here are mine.

Attached Files:

9. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

We painted 20 dozen two summers ago. Best advice i can give you is not to rush it. Take your time, and do them in steps like Drundel said. That stencil will start globbing with paint so we would paint a few dozen snows, then switch stencils and paint a few dozen blues or juvies. If you give the stencil time to get tacky, you shouldn't have to worry about any drips.

10. cripple

cripple Senior Refuge Member

I used the krylon and after i did a few i would wipe the stencil off with shop rags to help eliminate the splotches from over spray or drips