Painting a layout boat

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Kazzy8, Jan 5, 2017.

1. John Singer

John Singer Senior Refuge Member

Why not? Water is gloss.

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. Jerky

Jerky Senior Refuge Member

No wind and glassy water are most challenging. I like Scaup, redheads, and cans to finish well for close in shooting. We have been virtually the only layout crew in my home waters for 10+ years, and I can attest that boat color matters to get the birds to work well enough that I dictate the timing of the shot rather than the birds as they hit the afterburners after spotting the boat. Glossy paint works better than flat for me, and I try to observe the boat from all angles each time out.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I have often wondered if a guy could take a picture of the water he would be hunting and have a boat wrap made? Kind of a "match the hatch" type of thing.

4. Jerky

Jerky Senior Refuge Member

Lake Bonneville layout boats did something of that nature with I believe their mirage model. Problem is the color of the water's surface varies incredibly with aspect and height of the sun, wind speed (or lack thereof), sky color (clear or clouds), background, and the color of the water itself. I ended my painting with a gray on the greenish side for where I hunt that matches a light wind under a cloudy sky. Semi-gloss helps me when the sky is blue, wind is calm, and when we hunt closer to shore and the water resembles whatever color the bank is.