painting the tops of extended choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by eagle rider, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I sprayed mine with Krylon. Then used sharpie to write what they were in larger print. Seems to work fine. Over 2 years now, hmm... 25 hunts with that gun/tube? And it's still camo green. Carlson's stainless ones.

2. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I sprayed my patternmaster with flat black krylon about 5 years ago. I'll probably touch it up here soon before we start hunting snows. Most of the paint is still there, but it's getting a little shiny again around the ports.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Please elaborate.

4. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

Here is just one thread I easily found

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=439360

My buddy's went through several snap rings, they finally had him send it back to factory, cost him 80 bucks shipping that time, ring broke within a few weeks again, they wanted him to send it back again, nicest auto he ever bought and the dang thing was a piece of junk. It seems to be a fairly common issue with these. He finally unloaded it at a local gunshop. I feel sorry for the next owner. He's lovin his new Beretta multitarget though.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

https://fabarmusa.com/gun-test-fabarm-xlr5-velocity-by-johnny-cantu/

This gun test, published on the Fabarm website, says the EXIS HP choke tubes that come with the XLR5 are made of stainless steel.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My XLR5 Extreme's (5) chokes work really well , as most chokes do ! With this gun having a "Old school design" of a Tapered barrel
    it has been fun to understand it's performance over a standard barrels bore or even a slightly overbored barrel . One thing for sure is ,
    this gun is fun to adjust for "fit" as with its many options of adjustability , it does shoot where I'm looking . I would question the tapered
    barrels ability to handle very large steel shot sizes as going from the Forcing Cone at (.740 ) tapered down to (.725 ) at the muzzle ,
    wouldn't it be like shooting a OLD Superpose with a .725 bore ?