PAINTING YOUR FACE DUCK/GOOSE HUNTING???

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

Face paint is for part-timers. Wear a hat and don't pie face em and you're fine.

por boy likes this.
  2. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Lord help us all. Newbie crap. I avoid people that do that. No painting! No mask. Just shade your face.

por boy and SB2MAG like this.
  3. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

I always wanted to wear a viet cong hat with tules while hunting. Probably get shot or give a veteran a heart attack.

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Yea, but everything was black and white and shades of gray back then, as your pic shows! :dv

5. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I agree with you. I also use a loose fitting cotton mask that I bought at least 10 years ago. Can't find any of that type anymore! :cry

6. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Haven't needed to paint my face in the last 50 years of duck hunting, not about to start now. To me face paint is akin to barrel stickers and flippies, if you know how to hunt you don't need that crud, plus make-up is for girls! Don't move and keep your head down!

Billy Bob and por boy like this.
  7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I always used to laugh at the guys who painted their face...until I got into a situation where I needed to do it to shoot ducks. I was hunting a small pocket in a cattail slough. It wasn't more then 15 yards wide and 30 yards long. The water was waist deep and the cattails were 8 feet high. There was 100-150 mallards using it and they had been pressured in the area. The birds weren't using any particular pocket in the slough. They were very call susceptible since they couldn't see birds on the water very well. If you stood in the cattails you couldn't see a damn thing and if you couldn't see them you couldn't call at them. I had to sit on a muskrat hut in the middle of the pocket and work the birds with the call all the way into the pocket. If I shot them and they landed in the cattails I couldn't find them so they had to be committed. I layed on my stomach on the muskrat hut and didn't move besides the little calling I had to do. All the birds flared before they got close enough. After about 4 flocks flared I knew they had to be seeing my face. I quickly walked back to the car and grabbed face paint and put it on. I proceeded to shoot my limit of greenheads in the next hour.

I don't care how good you are at hiding your face. If you wore a mask or paint on every hunt you would shoot at least a few more ducks a year. It also lets you get away with more, which is important if you're the one watching the birds for clients. I don't use a mask or paint on every hunt, but I use them allot more then I used to.

8. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

NEVER, hell I hardly wear camo

bill cooksey likes this.
  9. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Got snow white hair and beard. Mixes right in with all the trash that's littering the shores of the lake that I hunt. Works really great when there is snow on the ground.

10. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I painted it up 45 years ago----what a mess. I always wear a turkey hunting half mask---mosquito netting style.

Ringbill