panhandle seeing any divers yet ?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by grey leg, Dec 16, 2015.

1. grey leg

grey leg New Member

Cold front coming this weekend, if ya call 60s cold, you guys seeing any redheads or cans yet?

2. GUNDOG944

GUNDOG944 Senior Refuge Member

Very slow down here right now just a few small groups.

3. Duckwild

Duckwild Refuge Member

a few but no where near what is usually here. We had a good ringer hunt Saturday and killed 37 but that was the only group of birds there were , we just happen to get there and sleep on the spot. I got a lot of hunting buddies from all over the states and not to be negative but more so realistic its gonna be a tough year more than likely and I don't think we will see near the numbers we are use to because of the weather. I think a lot of the ducks are still around the Dakotas and its usually been froze up by now. Buckle down for a tough one boys , scout hard and make the best of it you can.

4. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Saw a good amount of Scaup up high and moving south down the Indian river...probably some "others" in with them...just too high up to tell.

5. torrentduck

torrentduck Refuge Member

I'll be down in Florida third week of January to hunt with some of the guys that I started with. Now living in Maryland. There are minimal to no divers here or in very small numbers (goes for other ducks as well except sea ducks). Geese just showing up in large numbers the past week. Guessing with the cold the birds will be in Maryland about the time I am hunting Florida. Guess the point is that, unfortunately, large numbers of birds are a long way from Florida. Hoping ringers and teal are in my old haunts so I can salvage the season.

6. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

It will depend on where your "old haunts" are....ducks are spotty. Some places it's a barrel burner...others its a nice sunrise.

7. torrentduck

torrentduck Refuge Member

Thanks. Can't be worse than here. Very spotty as well. Better for geese than ducks but even those numbers are down. We are starting to get a build up in the number of divers. Literally an all day hunt yesterday with 4 guys---- took 5 geese and four mallards (my best hunt this year) -- at least dog got a good workout. Planning hunt on Wed on the bay before I head south. But yes...word is that some of my "old haunts" will be good for meditation. Still will be good to hunt with some of my friends.

8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I've shot 57 ringers in 11 hunts- nothing else! 100 % ringers. Usually by this time I would have seen teal, mottled, woodies, widgeon, redheads, and a pair of pintails...getting sunburned in winter.

9. grey leg

grey leg New Member

Hunted the Panhandle just after New Years, only shot Buffleheads and saw about 10 Bluebills, lots of dolphins jumping over the decoy lines, that was cool.
    bet its gonna get good this week.

10. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

DUCKS SUCK SOUTH BOYS. just a fact not being deceptive. If your coming be ready for a really tough time. Even on the canned hunts like the STA's they are pulling out ZERO's on alot of them.

Statistics are on line. Feel free to check out what has been checked out.