Panther Tank Duel with Pershing

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Clayton, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

First saw this on Facebook. Amazing footage!! You military history buffs are missing out on a lot of amazing WW2 footage if you aren’t on Facebook.

Steve Borgwald likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Actually, that is a You Tube video. Don't need FB for that.

3. Clayton

Yes it is but it was posted on Facebook WW2 web site. Most all of the videos can be found on YouTube but few would know they were there unless they were on Facebook.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Third Armored Division Tanks. The Pershing had a 90mm vs the assorted 75 and 76mm guns of most Shermans.

The Panther had the dreaded 88mm.

It was nice to see American Tankers get to square off with the Germans on an equal footing. I believe only about 25 Pershings were in combat in WW2.

Vahunter and Clayton like this.
  5. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

Nice post; 2 of my favorite WW2 photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Neat footage. Hollywood loves to dramaticize tank versus tank battles, but I was surprised to learn that armor on armor clashes were actually relatively rare. Sherman crews feared infantry wielding Panzerfaust far more than they feared other tanks (and the statistics bear this fear out, roughly 80% of Allied tanks disabled/destroyed in Europe were due to infantry-operated weapons). Obviously there are some notable exceptions, for example the battle of Kursk in Russia, which is probably the biggest armor clash in history, with some ~2000 tanks engaged (what a sight that would have been!).

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

There have been some very good specials on TV about tank duels in Europe and Africa including interview with crews who fought on both sides. You said it when you describe the high velocity 88 as a dreaded gun, both in tanks and mounted for on ground use.
    Americans and British suffered some heavy losses due to not being able to match those.

8. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Odd, that after nearly 70+ years since WWII, much of our arsenal currently is based on the German technology from those years ago.
    Certainly improved and much developed since then, but still building on German Ideas.
    Air to ground radio/Television controlled Cruise missiles. Air to air rockets. The V-1 cruise missiles. V-2 Ballistic rockets. Jet Fighters. Jet Bombers. Rocket fighters. Assault rifles, heck, even the shape of our helmets resemble WWII German Helmets.

9. Clayton

The Russians did the same. They improved upon the Panzerfaust with the RPG and the MP-44 with the AK-47. Though they will never admit it!

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

My Father was a tank crewman on a M-47 Patton tank in Korea. I remember a story he told me about one of his instructor's at Ft. Knox or Ft. Polk that was a Sherman tank commander in WW2. It was a bit hairy!!!!!! If you want a good book about modern Amour battles (IMO) I read a book about "Amour Combat in Vietnam." It has the philosophy between the U.S. & the NV/Soviet doctorine about tank to tank warfare. The U.S. tank crews are trained for tank to tank combat while the Soviet doctrine is to the use tanks to support troops- according to the author. That's why "we" are more proficient in a tank to tank battle ie: Desert Storm. I almost went into the Army as a M1 tank crewman! That was 1981 and I was 27 a bit too old......

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Clayton likes this.