Partition Nosler poor performance?????

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mike Perry, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

180 grain Partition Nosler .30 caliber 30- 06 reloaded at 2773 fps
    I shot a pretty nice white tail at 320 yards last week. Fairly big deer close to 300 lbs 320 yards severe uphill angle. I hit him a little low in the base of the neck slightly in front of the left shoulder. Bullet exited high, right through the center of the opposite shoulder. Trajectory would have it hitting at least 1 ling and very close to the heart if it did not hit the heart.
    Obviously I found the deer or would not have the above info.
    The exit wound was about the same size as the entry wound. The deer stood absolutely still after being hit. I shot twice more in a hurry as I heard the first one hit, and missed both follow up shots. I did not have a good rest. Hurried the shots.
    The deer walked away slowly after the 3rd shot and disappeared over the crest of the hill. Found him 600 yards away, dead.
    I would have expected the bullet to stay in the deer at that range and deliver maximum ft lbs of knock down. Did not get it.
    What's going on here?????

2. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Which 180gr partition. The standard or the Protected point. The shot you describe is what the Ballistic tip is for.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

At that range with an 06 loaded up to the velocity you had your still talking of 1700-1600 ft/lbs (depending on who's ballistic charts you believe) of energy on target, more than enough to make the bullet travel right through a deer. Even if you had full expansion of the bullet there's no guarantee with that much energy the bullet is going to stay in the deer. From what you described you made a good shot just didn't hit the heart or any bone to slow it down, if the deer was lung shot only then it ran then it's about the right scenario. I've had to track deer further than that if they were lung shot.
    I don't believe the bullet failed just went through at the velocity you described.
    Here's a chart for 180 grin energy at range.
    http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/ballistic-chart/remington_charts/3006sbal.htm

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Did the right shoulder plate s h a t t e r?

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

A pretty damn tough deer to go that far after those hits. They amaze me with how tough they can be.
    California is all copper after Jan 1, so for me Partitions are a thing of the past. Barnes seems to be the go to load for a lot of folks even in states that allow lead.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

What state were you hunting ? There's always interesting things that happen when hunting , bullet wounds are one of them !
    The will to live can be unbelievable as to what a animal can do . That must of been a quartering frontal shot and being up hill to boot , made the
    bullets impact as it was heading down its trajectory , making it sound like it with through some thick flesh before hitting the opposite shoulder ?
    Maybe this wasn't enough to open the bullet up enough until it hit Bone , But , for the buck to just stand there after the shot , sounds Fishy !

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

To big a bullet in that 06 for whitetail. 150 should be your max and I prefer 125 to 130 grn myself. Basically you turn it into a 270. My 06 loves 125 grn. nosler ballistic tips w 50.5 grns IMR 4895. That ld will do an outstanding job on whitetail. Know of several people that have experienced the same shoot thru problem when using 180.s regardless of bullet design.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yup

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have noticed that Barnes offers bullets that are a little lighter than typical loads for a number of calibers. For example 120 grains in 7mm/08. Perhaps they are trying to keep the velocities up to ensure expansion for bigger wound channels.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  10. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 New Member

At that range and vel I would expect the NP to pass through. I have shot a truck load of the NP in cal. 24, 27, 28, 30, 34. I have only recovered 1. That from an Elk (15 point bull) shot from a 308. The 180 NP is a heavy game bullet, your description of the Deer hit is most likely not uncommon for the equipment as you stated.

AIRBORNE