Partition Nosler poor performance?????

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mike Perry, Oct 29, 2017.

1. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

agreed - in most 30 cal guns; the optimum bullet is 150-165 gr.

2. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Doesn't sound like a poor performance to me. Some animals are just tough. The perfect shot can still leave them walking off.

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

For sure Rice hunter.
    I once shot a nice buck behind the shoulder with a 30-30. It left a massive blood trail. I followed that blood trail for a mile, it finally went dry and I never did find the deer which I felt bad about it because it was a very nice 4 point Blacktail that I had been trying to harvest for several years. I do not know how a deer could lose that much blood and keep going.

4. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

Thanks all for the replies and insight from personal experience. I was using the 180 Nosler because I was intending on hunting mule deer. I had an opp. on the whitetail, biggest ever for me, and took the shot. Last year I shot a 375 lb, +- 180 B&C, mule deer at 197 and 145 with a .300 mag and 180 grain Federal Ballistic tips and did not get a pass through on either shot. That's why I went with the 180 Noslers this time. I wanted a big punch and knock down.
    Next year I may go with the 300 again but 150 grain bullets. I definitely want a bigger mulie but if I see a 175 whitetail it will be hard to pass.

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

John Nosler designed the standard 180gr Partition for moderate magnum velocity on bigger critters than Deer. In the 30-06 the 150gr or 165gr partition would be a better choice for deer. The Protected point 180gr Partition was designed for the 300 Win mag and the higher velocity of the modern magnum. Basically you are shooting a bullet designed for a muzzle velocity of 2900fps (300HH) to shoot moose at under 200 yards.

6. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

For what's its worth (maybe nothing), I've gone to accubonds and have had really good luck. This years results:

190 gr 300 WM 2850 mv, 285 yds, quartering shot with complete pass thru on the biggest body white tail I've put my crosshairs on. Went maybe 10 yds

Same round, pass through in the bread basket of an elk at 120 yds, dropped like a hammer. Realize the energy of that load at that distance is massive and equal results could of been achieved with many different rounds.

I've killed probably 15 ungulates with accubonds and have never recovered a one. I'm not sure pass through is a good measure of performance but I can't argue with the results.

Never shot partitions but thinking about working up a load for my new-to-me 300WSM with ELD-x. We'll see.

7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Have you tried the Barnes TTSX bullet?? They are fantastic

8. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

Ive killed over 100 deer with NP's, only recovered 1 bullet, I want my bullet to pass through to leave a blood trail. Great bullet

9. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

I agree.
    Basically it's a heavy bullet probably designed for Elk. And it didn't hit enough to make it expand.
    I have had pretty good luck
    With the 165 grain Sierra BT Game king in my 06 on bigger Nevada Mulies.

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

So, maybe that partition did what partitions were made to do: mushroom and sometimes shed the front and keep the base intact to get penetration. Often they do leave smaller exits, but internal damage should be good. So, the bullet maybe isn’t ‘too heavy’ for deer....but you didn’t describe internal damage or fragments. Maybe it did just whiz right through, not hitting bone....but even if. partitions usually expand. They’ve worked well on all sized critters, from all size calibers, from all angles, from all ranges, in all weights.....for decades. There’s always anamolies, but they’re an exception. Just my guesses....I shoot deer and hogs with partitions in 223 to 358, and have no issues. They aren’t my first pick in some stuff, but I’d be fine using them in just about anything.

Seaark18, ronaldo and 10GAGENUT like this.