Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Partition Nosler poor performance?????

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Mike Perry, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

180 grain Partition Nosler .30 caliber 30- 06 reloaded at 2773 fps
    I shot a pretty nice white tail at 320 yards last week. Fairly big deer close to 300 lbs 320 yards severe uphill angle. I hit him a little low in the base of the neck slightly in front of the left shoulder. Bullet exited high, right through the center of the opposite shoulder. Trajectory would have it hitting at least 1 ling and very close to the heart if it did not hit the heart.
    Obviously I found the deer or would not have the above info.
    The exit wound was about the same size as the entry wound. The deer stood absolutely still after being hit. I shot twice more in a hurry as I heard the first one hit, and missed both follow up shots. I did not have a good rest. Hurried the shots.
    The deer walked away slowly after the 3rd shot and disappeared over the crest of the hill. Found him 600 yards away, dead.
    I would have expected the bullet to stay in the deer at that range and deliver maximum ft lbs of knock down. Did not get it.
    What's going on here?????

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

A Nosler Partition is designed to work as it appears to have done in your case. The front half expands after entry and breaks apart, sending parts in different directions. The rear part does not expand. It penetrates, usually exiting with a small exit hole - unless it hits bone near the exit hole. The interior damage is done by the front half,penetration by the back half.

Kimmie likes this.