Partition Nosler poor performance?????

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Mike Perry, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

Not varmints but...
    180 grain Partition Nosler .30 caliber 30- 06 reloaded at 2773 fps
    I shot a pretty nice white tail at 320 yards last week. Fairly big deer close to 300 lbs 320 yards severe uphill angle. I hit him a little low in the base of the neck slightly in front of the left shoulder. Bullet exited high, right through the center of the opposite shoulder. Trajectory would have it hitting at least 1 ling and very close to the heart if it did not hit the heart.
    Obviously I found the deer or would not have the above info.
    The exit wound was about the same size as the entry wound. The deer stood absolutely still after being hit. I shot twice more in a hurry as I heard the first one hit, and missed both follow up shots. I did not have a good rest. Hurried the shots.
    The deer walked away slowly after the 3rd shot and disappeared over the crest of the hill. Found him 600 yards away, dead.
    I would have expected the bullet to stay in the deer at that range and deliver maximum ft lbs of knock down. Did not get it.
    What's going on here?????

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Try a 150
    Your shoot placement don't sound that good ether...like a little further back would have worked out better
    Good luck

3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

What Howard said. I can't tell if you thought it should have hit the a lung or it DID hit a lung?

4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

It's not really poor performance at all. Partitions are made for maximum penetration in a given bullet weight. The top part expands to whatever it meets in travel, bone is obviously harder, hence larger expansion. The lower part of the bullet stays together to drive the bullet further, possibly an exit. Your story sounds like great penetration without encountering any thing solid.

WaterFoulHunter likes this.