Parvovirus Question.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by SilverTip, Jun 16, 2017.

1. SilverTip

SilverTip Senior Refuge Member

I have an 8 wk old blf which has had its first round of shots two weeks ago.
    A) can an adult dog, vaccinated for parvovirus as a pup, be a carrier?
    B) Is it safe (parvovirus) to take my pup for walks outside my small yard after her second round of vaccines?
    Thanks for the help.

2. NateB

NateB Senior Refuge Member

A) yes adult vaccinated dog can be a carrier and spread the virus.
    b) yes and no, pups do need to start socialization before they finish their vaccines, so you should not "hide" them till all shots are done. Just be smart about it, socialize with people's dog you know have well vaccinated dogs and do not go to places like dog parks. Socialization classes where everyone is in the same situation can be a good place also.
    Take you dog for walks in places not frequented by a lot of other dogs. Before you know it she will have all her shots and can be much more relaxed.
    Be sure your vet does give Lepto vaccines. That disease is making a big comeback and I consider it a CORE vaccine, even though many others do not consider it CORE.

What plans do you have for training?? I HIGHLY recommend the Bill Hillman "training a Retriever Puppy" DVD. Used it on my last dog and she was steady for stand alone marks at 4 months of age, great thing is, she did not even realize we were training. Great for attitude. Check it out. I have no association with Bill other than a happy customer.

Good luck,
    Nate B, DVM

3. SilverTip

I have Evan Graham's disk set. Used it for my last dog. However, I got her when she was 4 months old. EG's stuff was magic. I ended up with " Wonder Dog" as named by my fellow hunters!
    So having a young puppy is new to me. Yes, I just purchased one of Bill Hillmann's DVDs. I was very impressed with his technique. Unbeknown to me, I used many of his ideas with my last dog. So I'll probably use a combination of the two.
    Thanks for your reply Doc. I have been thinking of places where we can go where no one else has probably been. I have one in mind which should work well, although it is a bit of a hike to get to the ponds associated with it.

4. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

Good advice! I can't comment on Hillman's program because I didn't use it, but the rest is spot on. Pups need socialization as soon as they can walk.

5. me&mylab

me&mylab Elite Refuge Member

all good advice, except carrier states don't exist with parvo. The following is quoted from VIN:

Parvovirus causes an acute infection; carrier states to my knowledge don't occur with this virus.
    Melissa Kennedy, DVM,PhD,DACVM
    Clinical Virologist
    University of Tennessee
    College of Veterinary Medicine

6. NateB

Carrier was a bad term to use, it implies a long term spreader of disease. What I meant to say is a vaccinated adult can shed the virus but it is for a very short period of time after an exposure. "Healthy adult vaccinated dogs" eliminate the virus pretty quickly. Any shedding would be very brief. Sorry for my poor choice of words.

7. SilverTip

Would this be the same response among coyotes? Or, once infected, are they a "permanent carrier" since they have not been vaccinated?

8. NateB

I am not sure about coyotes, but I doubt they are a permanent carrier. If similar to dogs they will either survive or die. If survive, then they will shed virus for a short period of time after recovery, but then be immune due to the exposure to the virus.

9. Dr.J

Dr.J Senior Refuge Member

Adult dogs could quite easily be considered to act as mechanical vectors also with respect to parvo! Very tough virus, capable of being transmitted on virtually any surface.

10. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Puppies are hopefully safe after 4 vaccinations with the last one at about 20 weeks. There have been numerous incidences of pups having 3 vaccinations by 12 weeks and acquiring Parvo