Pasco/Hillsborough

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Pirate91, Jan 10, 2003.

1. matthersjr

matthersjr Senior Refuge Member

Gus,

Sorry, but I cannot contribute to your animosity anymore. You've got to get those issues resolved, as there is more to life than being bitter.

Best of luck with the counseling; keep us posted on your progress.

William

2. Gus E

Gus E Refuge Member

I'm in stitches. You know the counseling thing. That was good. I guess this means where not going to get the location the pictures where taken. Don't worry I know thats where you hunt and you don't want it ruined.

You are the electronic gate keeper of the North South Survey aren't you? Thats the one where people send in what and where they shot a bird. Boy am I glade I don't do that thing. I mean it's a good idea but I would have to think real hard before I hit the send button. Hate to see my spots posted and not even shown the courtesy having it PM'ed.

And don't worry. I'll keep my word and say something for you on sunday. Hope it helps you find consideration for people other than yourself.

3. Double Beard

Double Beard Refuge Member

Dang, Gus, Sounds like you just want some info on the pics for yourself. If you would ask nicely matthersjr would probably be glad to send them to ya. The originator of the thread was asking for vague info and matthersjr gave him some. Whats the matter, did he reveal one of your hotspots? I have hunted with matthersjr several times this year and talk on the phone to him weekely and not once has he ever revealed anyone's hunting report to me. He probably scouts more than anyone I know and if the area will support it he will share the info. Sounds like you need to hit the knees and ask for some support yourself before you start flaming on someone you dont know. Of course these are my personal thoughts, so if I am wrong just get over it.

4. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

DB,

Has anyone been having any luck harvesting some of the redheads off of Homosassa.

5. Gus E

Gus E Refuge Member

Just before christmas a childhood friend called. He is in the service and told me he had talked to his dad. His dad is comming off his second heart aperation and told his son all he would like to do is go to the place he hunted as a child and shoot a duck or two. My friend ask me to take him out. He would have liked to but the military wasn't letting anyone go home. I told him no problem. I have packed my stuff and headed south to the bay twice now. He hasn't shot yet. But he is getting some good last memories. The first hunt we watched as two guys ran up on ducks and shot them on the water for about a half hour. We also watched three hunters pass shooting birds from behind a no tresspassing sign on bird island. On the way in we passed a shot pelican. Next time the pass shooters on the island where thier agian. A diffrent boat was chasing birds and shooting at birds on the water. Four groups where set up in the cove we where in and wouldnt let a bird in to work. They shot at them before we even picked up a gun.

All the old man kept saying is where are these people comming from. They sure aren't duck hunters.

At the boat launch he asked the game warden what was going on? His reply was that "most of the people out there are coming from the Lakeland, Orlando, and Brooksville area. They read about the area on the INTERNET and have no idea of the laws in the area. They hunt off the closed islands and areas. They have the attitude of "I didn't drive from Orlando not to get a duck" so the run them down when they are ready to leave".

I'm going to take a day off work and try to get this guy a last memory. If It doesn't happen during the week I told him I would hunt the last weekend with him. I would rather hunt it in my area where I don't have to witness the goings on out there but have told a friend I would help his dad out. I have asked him to come up to where I live and shoot some ringers but he wants to hunt the area he has as a kid. It my come as a surprise to Mathers friend who seems to have a snoby attitude but to hear this guy talk about the bay you would think it's some kind of "special place".

Mr Mathers has posted that he hasn't hunted bay since the "first year he moved here". He says the only reason he posted it was to help the guy out. He will post a place he no longer hunts on the INTERNET but he won't post a place he hunts now. If he did he would post the location of the pictures. So for that I call him a hypocrite.

It is people like Mr Mathers who post information about areas on the INTERNET rather than sending it over the PM system. It is for that why I call him a inconsiderate hunter. No better than the bow shooters, pelican shooters, and trespassers as people like him are, in a big way responsible for people like that converging on an area. But why should he care. He hasn't hunted there since the first year he moved here. He may not care but that old man does.

You say you hunt with him, my thoughts go out to you and your area.

6. Double Beard

Double Beard Refuge Member

LarryA, I have not talked to anyone who has targeted the red's but they are definetely out there. OMG, I hope this dont ruin the area.

Gus, have you considered maybe getting there a little earlier so you could set up in another area. How about a cell phone to report the law breakers. It is impossible for me to believe that you can hold any one person responsible for your bad luck on the bay. It is very easy to blame someone or something (internet), if things dont go the way you would have them. I am not defending the actions of the inconsiderate shooters (notice I didnt call them hunters) by any means. They should be given tickets and have their hunting rights revoked (if they are breaking the law) for their actions. There are plenty of other places to hunt, as someone with your experience surely knows. I understand "the old man" wants to hunt in a certain area, but it might be time to move on. Public hunting is just that, public. If those people are in the bay, that means there is another place that is open. Go there.

7. IndaMarsh

IndaMarsh Refuge Member

Gus, yes I do understand that the bay may be a special place to some people. and I will admit that saying the bay is no special place is wrong. Unfortunately, it is nestled in a very populated area. I seriously doubt that people drive from Orlando to hunt Tampa Bay. Why would they, there are plenty of areas with better ducks closer to orlando.

Sure the remaining areas in the bay which are legal to hunt are getting hit harder and harder. This trend is being seen through out Florida. I DO NOT believe that a post as vague as the east side of the bay is responsable for this problem. 16 some years ago when I moved to Tampa, there was no internet. I looked at a chart of the bay, drove some back roads and guess what? I ended up hunting in the very area we are discussing. I usually had it to myself for a few years. But the "secret" slowly got out. In fact, in retrospect, I wish I had told a few less people. One person I took to this area started to hunt it regularly and told others. This was all by word of mouth. No internet. True, the internet is dangerous in that it spreads info too quickly and to too broad of an audience. I have learned not to mention any names of any bodies of water. And yes I do agree that ALL SPECIFICS SHOULD BE EXCHANGED OVER PM'S.

I disagree that Matthers is wrong by saying what he did. And he in no way can be blamed for bringing all the Slob hunters to the area discussed. Maybe, instead of going after him as you did, a simple and polite PM would have prompted him to delete his very vague post. In fact a similar PM to the initiator of this thread may of gotten this thread deleted in its' entirety. Just a thought:p

I hope you can take the elder gentleman on a hunt that is "special" and I hope that he can understand that things change. Unfortunately, often they change for the worse when dense populations of people are involved:mad:

8. wildcat

wildcat Senior Refuge Member

Gus,

You obviously dont know matthers. Because if you did you wouldnt be saying these things. Matthers is a great guy who used his time and resources to put together the internet survey for us. Matthers and myself are the only ones who have access to the survey totals and never in a million years would I believe he would abuse that information. And even if he tried. All of the areas given in the report are pretty general. You still would have to take the time to get out there and scout the WHOLE area.

Every single day on these internet sites people talk about areas like Tampa bay, Merritt island, the st. johns, etc. They are common knowledge. Get over it.

Its unfortunate that so many idiots have ruined hunting on the bay, But instead of taking out your frustrations on someone on the internet. get on your cell the next time your out there and report some of these people. Do something about the situation, Otherwise, quit complaining about it.

9. Gus E

Gus E Refuge Member

I have no problem sharing information. It's too bad Mr Mathers and others choose to share information on areas they DON"T EVEN HUNT in the form of a post. Too bad he couldn't take the consideration of PM'ing it. And I know he is not personally to blame for all the slob shooters but people like him that don't or wan't to use the PM system contribute to it in thier own little way.

And yes, I have no idea why someone would drive from Orlando to hunt there. I was as surprised as anyone when the game warden told us earlier he sited people from Orlando for hunting on the spoil island.

DB. I have a cell phone and two cards in my guning bag. One from the Florida Fish and Game and one from the Federal Fish and Game. I did reprt it but it doesn't help when your out there hunting. And arriving at 5:00 when shooting is at 6:50 seems plenty early. Arriving early doesn't help when the late hunters show up at shooting and start throughing out decoys. As for other areas on the bay. If Mr Matthers took the time time took check since he admits he hasn't hunted it years he would knbow that it is almost totally closed. No more spoil islands, no more cockroach bay, no more apollo beach, no more anything in Manatee and the list goes on. And to an earlier post, yes if posted the spots in the picturies I would hunt them. I'm sure a lot of others would also. Thats why he chooses to ruins places he doesn't hunt anymore and he knows it.

10. Gus E

Gus E Refuge Member

Mr Wildcat. Merrit Island is controlled by a lottery. The St Johns has miles and miles of area. Tampa Bay has a speck on the map you can now legally hunt. Try calling an orange an orange. There is no comparision in those three.

Like I said if you or anyone else wants to email infromation to him thats your business. I wouldn't to him or any other inconsiderate hunter.