Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

past MD Refuge hunts

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by drewsmith, Dec 24, 2003.

1. drewsmith

drewsmith Elite Refuge Member

Three of Four years ago this board was quite new and a few guys had an idea for a group hunt in the deal island/fishing bay area. As I recall it was towards the end of the third split. Then, the end of the third split was two weeks earlier. Someone got some very good rates at the Red Roof Inn down there. Anyone interested in doing it again?

My cousin Andy and I went for the first day. Unfortunately we got down very late and had to leave the next day. We hunted on the back side of Fishing Bay on the Nanticoke. Someone turned us on to a spot lower than were had gone before. It was well worth it, even for a day.

We had a very nice hunt, but not much of a chance to meet everyone. I put down on my hunting log LDH?? as someone I think either set it up or that I meet that evening.

Thoughts?

2. HatterWayne

HatterWayne Elite Refuge Member

Drew, . . sounds like a great idea to me!

:)

3. eagleeyejohn

eagleeyejohn Senior Refuge Member

It sounds good to me too! I always see other flyaways posting there refuge hunts. Why not us?

4. lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter Chesapeake Forum Moderator Moderator

We done it 3 years ago at the begining of the third split. A few of the same guys that did that still get together and hunt we hunted the opening week and stayed down in Princess Anne. Myself,Goose and duckslayer69. It's a lot to cordinate I tried it that first couple of years and alot of people didn't show up but if you do it I'm in.

5. lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter Chesapeake Forum Moderator Moderator

It was me who started it drew. I remember you.

6. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Just a thought but this kinda runs along the lines of the shin dig . Maybe something near the bay bridge for everyone ???? I would still try to make it to Deal even if we had it there though . I really don't care as long as I am outta the house and sitting in a blind ;)

7. eagleeyejohn

eagleeyejohn Senior Refuge Member

DS your right some where in the middle would be nice. Intsead of us westerner's driving 3 hours. But like you said Out of the house sitting in the blind is mucho bene. unless it was with some 20 year olds in bely shirts;) :l :l :l

8. drewsmith

drewsmith Elite Refuge Member

Now I got it LDH stood for LonelyDuckHunter. Thanks for setting it up. Had a real good time. I think that Deal was selected since a few people had lottery dates for the impoundment. Sounds like Deal is not too good this year. I have heard alot of reasons from hunting preasure to lack of food.

I like the idea of the middle of the eastern shore. What about two days of duck in the morning then goose in the afternoon. Say a Friday and Saturday. I could score a field of two for geese. Line up some real long A frames so we could shoot the **** together.

We will prolly have to do public for the ducks, due to the number of people. Any ideas, without ruling out Fishing Bay for now.

9. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Fishing Bay might be a good choice. Some could hunt up in the marsh for puddle duck and others might want to hunt the shoreline for divers. Lots of different types of habitat. But keep in mind, the drive to the ramp and boat ride combine to be nearly as long as going to Deal.

What about some of the Delaware public lands? That might be an option. Or maybe we could all go to DS69's blinds on the Chester, he's always killin' lots of ducks there.:nutz

10. Tad

Tad Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like fun to me. :cool:

Let me know what I can do to help.

Tad.