Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

past MD Refuge hunts

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by drewsmith, Dec 24, 2003.

1. drewsmith

drewsmith Elite Refuge Member

Delaware might be a haul for some of the western shore people, but closer than Fishing Bay. The middle might be OK, but there is so little public land. Eastern Neck is very tight, while Wye Island has an advanced lottery.

I agree that Deal is same distance as Fishing Bay, but if we are going to get this together, we should go where the birds are. As far as public land goes, it is hard to beat FB this time of the year.

The goose spots I have are further up North. If is is FB, we will have a bit of a drive to hunt in the afternoon.

Any thoughts on 9th & 10th or 16th & 17th? After a few days of comments on the dates, let's pick a set on Sunday.

2. eagleeyejohn

eagleeyejohn Senior Refuge Member

9th and 10th are out for me I'm bring a party of 12 in for a combo two day hunt. Stupid me didn't check the book either. Md has an extended Deer shotgun season on the 9th & 10th as well.

3. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

FB at Bestpitch ferry is no where near as far away as DI. It has a decent size parking lot. Some Pa and western shore guys could even camp there if they choose.

I would vote for 16th,17th...But only be able to show up on the 17th:rolleyes:

4. goose

goose Moderator Moderator

Well I would come down again. I am pretty flexible the next two weeks. I am off all this week and thinking about heading down anyway have to be back to work SAT-MON then off again through the next Mon I think the 11th. AFTER that if it is like last year we might be froze out.

5. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

I can't go on any of those dates, so it really doesn't matter to me what is decided upon, but...

it's 6 of one, half-a-dozen the other....

My house to Bestpitch ramp 65 minutes + 20 minute boat ride at 20mph to the birds. Total time = 85 minutes

My house to Deal ramp 90 minutes + 2 minute boat ride to the birds. Total time = 92 minutes

about a 5 - 10 minute differance....

Deal is about 20 minutes longer on the road, but the boat ride at FB is the equalizer.

I leave my house to reach my hunting spots at either location at the same time. I know if I want to be in the water at 6am I have to leave at 4:30am for both.

6. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

I got limited room but we can always over flow into the field and hunt BP's pit at the other end of the field when he is not there :sp

I am 32 and I can borrow a belly shirt from one of those girls but thats the best I can do :nutz

7. eagleeyejohn

eagleeyejohn Senior Refuge Member

DS I wasn't looking for you in a belly shirt I was commenting on the other post.

If you where a belly shirt then I will where one and you saw me at the shin dig you don't want to see that site. Plus your in you thirties thats no good.

8. drewsmith

drewsmith Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the 16th 17th works best. Post up if you are in for one or two days. Might be best to just limit it to one day. I will be getting a room the night before, so we can use this spot to coordinate. I think the most likely spot is Fishing Bay. Each group will need a reasonably sized boat. One that you feel comfortable with in the open bay. We can set up fairly close and not get in each others way.

9. luckyduck2

luckyduck2 Refuge Member

Go one day not sure which one though. If I'm not misstaken the best pitch ferry ramp is not for large boats and is tide sensitive to north west winds( EASY TO DRIVE OFF THE RAMP) on hard NW winds very low tide.Might have to go to farmington ramp or crocheon ramp for my boat.
    charlie

10. S.Christopher

S.Christopher Elite Refuge Member

I'd be interested in going too! Sound like fun for sure! It doesn't matter to me where you go. I'm in the middle of all this.

I'd take off and go the 16th, more than likely. I have a 19' roughneck and can safely transport 4 or 5 if necessary. Have a blind on it too if we need to do that.;)

I'll check my time off and make sure that the 16th is cool for me and let you know.