Past two weeks in the salt

Discussion in 'New Jersey Flyway Forum' started by jerseyhunter, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jerseyhunter

jerseyhunter Senior Refuge Member

With a bunch of use/lose to burn I hunted hard with my home from college son past two weeks. Two rivers/ west creek/great bay.
    We have done well enough for us with black ducks/some mallards/a couple of brant and he likes buffies so he has banged a few.
    Have not personally seen any major wave of broadbills or other big divers in anyplace we have been. We spent morning jump shooting blacks today, something that for some reason we both enjoy doing. Put in a solid 4 miles of marsh mucking around. Plenty of blacks around, even some buffie heads on the small marsh ponds. We took a goose egg on bagging anything.
    Did see an odd plane, prop type with pontoons, just flying low. have no idea what it was doing, possibly counting ducks?
    Anyway we left tired and empty handed but enjoyed each others company and talking life. gonna miss that kid when he goes back to school next week. my other sons hunt, but not with his passion

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Any time with your boy is a gift, let alone hunting and having a ball. He will, you both will carry those memories through the troughs in life where you have to be a part as now he is a man making his own way. My son is coming home mid Feb and its like Christmas every time he does.

3. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Good deal JerZ. Been a long time. Glad to see you are doing well.

4. jerseyhunter

Tailfeathers, you are so right. Anytime spent with any of my children is a gift, but particularly when we are hunting, or one of my other sons who just loves fly fishing for trout. Its just time spent with each other with none of the father/son here's what i think you should be doing. Its just simple keep your head down, ducks coming to decoys from right side, get ready, take em or this pool has some trout up along that log, you fish em and ill go upstream and we will meet up in an hour. Low key no pressure.

Marsh, has been years but had some happy times and hunts and opportunity to hunt places I could not get to on my own, so thanks for the memories. If your back this way next season always feel free to reach out.
    Ended the season on friday/saturday much like the rest of season, some brant/blacks bagged and not a single broadbill to be seen in the two rivers.

5. Marshbum

6. Marshbum

7. jerseyhunter

Wow, some cans also. Great videos.
    A few years ago during the last two days of the season went to west creek with a friend. There were so many broadies the sky was humming from their flying. Had limit of broadies and black so fast we enjoyed great breakfast in Tuckerton, enjoyed the morning so much we went back next day. Havnt seen anything like again in past few years. I think Sandy had a impact but I could be wrong on that. Brant have definitely been down since Sandy. Anyway thanks for the video, very cool.