Pasture Geese

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Aug 17, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

For those that obsess over hunting pastures (admitily I'm guilty of) AND obsess over decoys and spread placement (again guilty) maybe this will help with your set up. I'm currently sitting at my daughters horse riding lesson and there's a 1 acre pond a couple hundred yards away surrounded by short pasture grass. Looks like 3dz honkers feeding. Their spaced anywhere from 3-10ft apart with two high lookers on opposite ends and outside the group. Their spread about 30x20yds with 80% in one group and the rest sorta spread out. Of course it's August and 85 degrees with not getting shot at for months but still interesting to see how they are set up.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I pass a pond surrounded by pasture about 3 times a week, roughly at the same time of day. If the geese are there (sometimes they are not), they are never spread out the same. Sometimes all are in the pond, sometimes only a few are in the pond with the rest on the bank spread out feeding. Sometimes there are a few around the pond with the balance 100 yards away from the pond. We're talking about 75 or so birds. Sometimes they are on a secondary pond about 300 yards away. Go figure.

3. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

I've often said geese are like women...completely unpredictable

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im going to disagree, geese are much more predictable:nutz

Watch geese in a field, the look of geese on the ground is continually changing.

5. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

Yes they are and geese don't yell at you and tell you they never stated the first opinion when the second opinion wavers the first. ;)

6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Fify

7. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

With Geese, If you open your mouth, you are not always wrong