Pattern master?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by thunderfromdownunder, Dec 22, 2017.

1. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

And a third shot

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

You forgot not having to worry about picking up empty casings...

I also like shooting an O/U... I tend to shoot them better, as do many people that shoot them.

Granted, there are times when I appreciate that third shot (and others I wish I did not have it:nutz), but the primary reason I switched to an auto is recoil reduction. I would say that in my case, that recoil reduction is the single biggest advantage over an O/U...

Thunderfromdownunder, I would say that most people who shoot an O/U do NOT do so to be sporting... They do so cause it works better for them.

JFG likes this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think 43x's point is the single main advantage a gas gun (3-shot gun) has over an O/U.
    Sure, some may say they never feel recoil when hunting, or say recoil does not bother them. The fact remains; more felt recoil is never an advantage.

JFG likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Just as a reminder, this all started with someone saying I brag about shooting an O/U. That is false.

I mark my shells with a magic marker on the bottom. Blue is 4's, Red is 3's, Green is 2's. That is steel. In lead, I use X's, Red for 6's, Red and Black for 5's, Black for 4's. So, when I said I can check what shells I have in, I mean at a glance, I can see the bottom of my shells and know what is loaded in Both barrels.

Broken record. I conceded this. I notice you never did come up with an answer to my question. Others did, but not you. Battle of whits and unarmed man, and all that stuff.

True. Not that it is a problem with the 20, but I concede the point. Then again, there seem to be a fair number of people who shoot those roman candles, 3 1/2", and there goes the advantage. A man would be a fool to shoot candles in an O/U.

Tuleman, while you can explain away the advantages, for most of them, they remain an advantage to the O/U. YOU may not use them, or care, but they remain.

I am most certainly not telling anyone my O/U is better. Everyone has different tastes. When I was younger, no way would I give up that 3rd shot. When I rolled up to my river one foggy morning, with an inversion over the valley, I got out to the sound of 1000's of geese. They were trapped in the valley. When I got to the water, the river was white, bank to bank. Hearing the geese at the truck, I took the pump with me. I thought I would get one volley, and it would be over. I crossed the river, in the dark, and set up on the other side. The geese parted, then filled back in. Come shooting time, I waited till I knew I could get a triple, and rose up. Dropped my triple, and the river erupted. Filling my snow limit would have been no problem with the O/U, and it was no problem with the pump.

Shoot what you like. Makes no difference to me. Then again, I would never disparage a man for his choice of guns, either.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Only two, the cleaning part and the reliability, can be listed as a universal advantage. To me, the advantages of lower recoil and immediate availability of a third shot with the gas autoloader more than offset ease of cleaning and arguable reliability of the O/U..

I surely don't mind someone like yourself preferring to use a certain type of shotgun for their shooting. We all have our preferences.
    What rubs me the wrong way is someone claiming superiority of their choice (over my choice for me) when it is simply personal preference for personal (and often unusual and unique) reasons. Prove to me how one gun is is inherently superior, and I'll concede (which I've done). Until that can be done, I'll probably be able to match, one-for-one, the reasons why someone else's choice is just as good.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

13C286B5-59D4-41BB-B76A-5231F522DB9A.jpeg The older I get the more recoil conscious I’ve become. Bad habits such as flinching can manifest itself with continuous pounding. Follow up shots can be a little harder to get on. Sold all my 3.5” shells awhile back and really like the 1-1/8th oz. loads in 12ga. But my favorite gun is my 28ga. O/U Beretta SP II Sporting which I shoot steel 6’s during the teal season. It’s a 30 yd. killing load- period. Fine for decoying birds. I’ve recently been shooting HW13 #6’s in the 28–it’s now a small bore game changer. Forty yard, 80% patterns allows for clean ethical kills. Just can’t get that energy with the smaller steel pellets but they do have their place when matched accordingly.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  7. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

An overlooked advantage of O/U is barrel obstruction

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yeah... To say someone is "bragging" about shooting an O/U is a bit absurd...

If I could find an auto-loader that handled like an O/U and was as easy to clean, it would be the last gun I ever owned.

Go to any popular sporting clay range, and take note of what people are shooting... For every auto-loader there are 10 O/U's... I know my average scores are higher when I shoot a well-fit O/U as opposed to any auto-loader...

It is simply a matter of recoil reduction for me... I do not feel recoil when I am hunting, but I do find myself flinching, and reacting to it as the season wears on.

I will admit to being a bit tickled every time I shoot a triple on birds though. I shoot a few doubles (probably more with an O/U), but I remember all of my triples for a given season.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

And there it is, in a nutshell. Same can be said for chokes and shot size (along with about any other piece of equipment a waterfowler uses)
    I always try to be careful, even though it takes more time to type it out, to say what I am using works for ME. The guy in CA, or OK, it might not work for.

Trips are fun, no doubt. My experience is that for every true triple I got, I no doubt wounded the last bird instead, 3 times over. I scotch-tripled on ducks last year in SK, and my buddy made it a point to say he had never seen that with a 20ga. I double-doubled on geese a couple of years ago. The stars aligned, the birds were in perfect formation, and there was a bird behind 'my' bird.

I doubled on roosters twice on my trips to Central MT this year. At my age, with all the birds I have killed, I am quite content with that.

10. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 Refuge Member

I hate to get into the argument between those that know about the subject than I, however allow me to throw this into the ring. I use different shotguns for the purpose of the day. O/U's, pumps and auto's but there is a specific purpose for each. For Snows my 5 shot auto gets to play, for Quail over dogs the 20 O/U get to play, there are advantages to each one and each and every shooter gets to pick his/her favorite. What it comes down to is this, this one I LIKE over that one.

AIRBORNE

There are times when I refuse to defend myself against those at are defenseless!