patterning kent bismuth sbe2

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Quakbangsplash, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Quakbangsplash

Quakbangsplash Refuge Member

I am having some issues with posting the pics but anyone who wants to see them message me and I can text them.
    Shell used was Kent bismuth 3" 1 1/2 oz 1350 fps number 4 shot
    Gun was a benelli sbe2 with 28" barrel
    I shot a rob Roberts T2, a pattern master code black duck, and a jebs high voltage .685 constriction. The Jebs was the clear winner with rob Roberts t2 2nd and pattern master in 3rd.
    I counted 270 pellets in a shell. The shot was pretty uniform but not as perfectly round as Kents steel loads.
    Jebs .680 results 30" circle
    At 20 yards I shot a 100 percent pattern (270)with the core of it about 10"x10"
    30 yards was 82 percent pattern with 222 pellets inside 30 inch circle with about a 20x20" diameter core.
    40 yards was 66% pattern with 178 pellets inside the 30" circle and a very even pattern overall.
    I am very happy with these results as I rarely shoot outside of 30 yards and wanted a clean killing load. I will say bismuth is way different then steel loads and based on my research and limited tests I would say to use full chokes. Never used anything but Kent steel 2's and 3's so ill let you know how the bismuth does. I'll be hunting a lot the lat few weeks of the season and will report back.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

If that choke constriction is surely a .680 your patterns were very "weak" , take a moment and have your barrel / choke measured as a true full choke
    pattern starts around 75% at 40 yds but a good one can be up in the high 80's percent .

The 82% patterns you show at 30 yds really is a working mans pattern as I can get that with a .014 constriction choke , FYI .

3. Quakbangsplash

Yeah the jebs constrictions are not the actual constriction. Im not sure how they measure it but there is no way thats right. I had talked to a few people that told me that and it patterned similar to a rob Roberts t2 with is a light mod I believe. I understand your pattern percentages but I think bismuth is way different then steel. With that 66 percent 40 yard pattern I still had 178 pellets of 4 shot that should penetrate as well as 2 shot at 40 yards. Plenty to kill a bird. Could go tighter but then id be throwing baseballs at shorter distances and I like to work ducks in tight. I think the jebs .680 is about a modified choke with bismuth/lead and with steel it is more like a full.

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If you rarely shoot outside 20 yards you might like shooting a 20 gauge.

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yea if I could guarantee all my shots would be under 30yrds I probably would shoot nothing but a 20ga.

6. Quakbangsplash

Yeah I felt up a 26" m2 20 gauge at Macks last year and it felt really really nice. I have a 7 year old that when he gets a little bigger I will have to get one.

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Not trying to hijack your thread, but 20 gauges are more and more appealing to me.
    I bought some Kent Bismuth in 20 I will be patterning soon. Look for a thread on that.
    I also will be patterning some 3 inch 13/8 oz of #3 Kent Bismuth. I was planning on using that for Specks if it patterns.