Patterning Page

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drundel, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I want to give a big thanks to tripleb whos posts finally got me motivated enough to put this page together and do some patterning on my own. I sent him a mix of my own shells so I could see how they worked with the .675 before buying one and I am very happy with just about every round but the Impact.

Below is the page with information from several different people with many different loads.

Patterning Page

Feel free to ask questions.

Brad

2. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Thank you for the information page I will use the knowledge for this coming waterfowl season.:tu

3. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Senior Refuge Member

I havn't been able to load this page in the past week, and this message is always displayed.

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Is there a mirror to this site? Or does anybody know when the site might be back up?

4. Drundel

Dec 1st it will be back up, sorry.

5. Phish

Phish Guest

Where and what paper do you get for your patterning? Thanks:confused:

6. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

go to a newspaper and get endrolls. they are free or cost very little and you have a big supply of paper. they come in different sizes but you want a full roll.

7. Drundel

Lots of different ideas.
    http://shotshell.drundel.com/patterns/materials.htm

I personally found banquent cloth (that plastic you see on tables at DU dinners and such) at Garden Ridge pottery.

8. huntsum

huntsum Senior Refuge Member

I haven't tried this yet myself but I read about using a 4' square piece of steel plate painted white as a target...to clear the target between shots recoat the surface with BIN white shellac primer with a small roller...it dries in minutes....anyone ever try this? I'm wondering about how thick the steel plate would have to be to keep steel shot from going through it?
    I think it would cost about .20 to recoat the panel each time.

9. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

In the lead patterning days, the method was to use a non-drying whitewash on a steel plate. The plate doesn't have to be thick, only 1/8" would be plenty. The shot would be fired and the pellet strike would blow the whitewash away at the point of impact. The pattern could be inspected, then a swipe or two with a brush spread the whitewash around for the next shot.

As lead shot will flatten and drop to the ground, there would not be much of a problem with shooting against a steel plate. Using steel shot, TI or Hevishot, you would be in danger of being struck by richocheting pellets if you shot against a steel plate.

10. Farma Geddon

Farma Geddon Senior Refuge Member

Cliff,
    I use a metal plate for testing and have fired many many steel rounds into it and plenty of Hevi.I have had not one come back at me,although I dont come closer than 30 yards.I will say there is some flex in the plate I use.

Paint that dries is no use,it cracks when you fire at it again and you cant draw circles round it.

Use whitewash mixed about 50/50 with motor oil.Alternatively,wipe the board with oil and then paint.You will find the paint appears to dry if you leave it,but a wipe with oil again will soften it.I use a longhandled brush for application.Farmageddon