Patterning Page

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drundel, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Skeptic

Skeptic Elite Refuge Member

Our club uses white lithium grease on a steel plate. Once you've applied the grease, shoot, use a paintbrush to spread it back out and repeat. Kind of tough when it gets cold, tho.

2. Pine

Pine Elite Refuge Member

well i got a chance to pattern the .675 terror...was very pleased with all shells i tried.steel tungston,lead, and hevi all performed well at 40 yards. i have to do the .700 next.

3. bwalker

bwalker Senior Refuge Member

If you where going to buy one choke to do it all while using remington #4 Hevi would this choke be it? My hunting is a mix of 80% ducks and 20% geese. I hunt over decoys most of the time, but also pass and jump shoot.

4. hunt-ducks

hunt-ducks Senior Refuge Member

Use wheel bearing grease with a paint roller on a steel plate WORKS GREAT. :tu

5. Masterchiefmike

Masterchiefmike Elite Refuge Member

My question also; 675 or 700 terror for first aftermarket choke tube?

6. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Generally, the .675" Terror should be considered a 35-50 yard choke. With some guns and with some loads, the range capability may be longer or shorter. The .700" is usually considered to perform somewhere in the light modified to modified range

7. Canadian hitman

Canadian hitman Senior Refuge Member

My gun club has a steel plate and use powdered lime mixed with some water. Spread it on with a paint brush.

8. Bluedot

Bluedot Senior Refuge Member

tripleb the .675" = 35-50 yds choke where does the .655 come in at ?
    also whats the is max shot size, reconmended for the .655 ?
    im using .13 = 3.3mm steel and .15 = 3.8mm steel are these ok
    thanks bluedot

ps have a good season and be safe

9. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I believe Jeff Hajjar recommends nothing larger than BB (.18") steel in the .655". The problem is that in some choke systems, the portion of the choke in the barrel is relatively thinner than in other systems, and may cause the choke to seize if using the larger steel shot sizes in those thin chokes.

Insofar as range is concerned, steel BB's are not going to give you the body penetration at long ranges on big geese. The choke is popular with snow goose hunters who shoot at geese that generally are not much bigger than Rouen (sp?) duck (large domestic duck that looks similar to a mallard). It's also popular with Hevishot users who use them for turkey shooting, where very tight patterns are required.

Send a PM to JP. He helped develop the Terror chokes and could probably give you a better description of what that particular choke can deliver in terms of patterns for the loads you use than could I.

10. Bluedot

Bluedot Senior Refuge Member

ty tripleb