Patterning Page

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drundel, Apr 28, 2004.

1. MD

MD Senior Refuge Member

When patterning your shotgun, how many shots do you take with the same choke and load combination?

For me with only one choke setting (mod) it doesn't matter, but I'd like to know how many shots to try.

And do you set up at 30 or 40 yards?

Rested shooting or offhand?

What do you do with a whole box of commercial loads that pattern poorly in your gun?

leftyhunter likes this.
  2. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

If you want statistical reliability, you have to shoot a lot of shells, over 10 shots. However, most of us, once we become familiar with what our guns and loads are expected to deliver, will shoot 3 shots at least to verify what the load will normally deliver. Even a good load can vary in pattern percentage by 10% from best to worst pattern, and that's assuming it's a consistent load. Commonly, they will vary by up to 20% at 40 yards.

40 yards is the standard for patterning, for comparison purposes. However, if you will be using the choke and load at closer or further distances, you should pattern at those ranges as well, just for the purpose of your own personal familiarity with the load.

If you are just testing for patterns and have a large pattern paper and are shooting in a calm wind, you can shoot offhand, if you don't flinch. However, shooting off a rest is normally considered less prone to operator error.

If I had more than 5 shells out of a box that did not pattern well, I would first try a different choke. If that did not fix the problem, I would try different shells.

leftyhunter likes this.
  3. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

I know I used to have a link to a page that gave the number of different sized shot pellets in specific load weights, for both lead and steel. Can't find it anywhere. Anyone remember where it is.

Thanks,

olepal

4. tripleb

Drundel used to have it on his website. Perhaps a PM to him can lead you to the information.

5. Be2Man

Be2Man Refuge Member

Shot a few patterns with Challenger Tungsten #4's, 1 1/2oz in 2 3/4" hull at 1400fps. This a type of shot I hadn't seen before from Challenger, so I'm not sure on its availability. Its like other Tungsten, hard as heck and expensive, but it does pack a punch :eek: . Might use it as the 3rd round in the mag after a couple of steel 3's

[​IMG]

This at 40yds with factory IC out of Benelli SBEII
    75%
    [​IMG]

40yds, factory Mod 87%
    [​IMG]

And just for fun, blowing the carp out of a piece of 24ga sheet metal at 40yds with the factory Mod
    [​IMG]

6. Scout69

Scout69 Senior Refuge Member

This is great info
    Thanks for all the work

7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Would Lithium grease work or not?:)

also, any Challenger availibility in the states here?

9. tripleb

The .700" Terror is basically a light mod to modified choke with fast steel shot. If you are shooting over 40 yards with steel shot, it's not the best choice for that purpose.

There's several pictures of a variety of BB loads I shot using the .675" Terror on Drundel's Pattern Page. It shot just about all of them well, except the pre Federal takeover Estate brand.

I think I have some pics. of the 1450 fps. 3" Federal BB loads that I shot for OHIO WILDFOWLER, somewhere. If I can find them I will post a link to them.

10. tripleb

Here are the Fed. BB loads from a .675 Terror choke.