Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Paying for permission. How often ?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by jthomp01, Feb 15, 2018.

Paying for permission

1. Every hunt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50/50

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Once or twice

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Pay ? No way

46 vote(s)
    86.8%
  1. Lslu60

Lslu60 Refuge Member

When I was in Arkansas for the opener of conso season , almost all the farmers wanted money because the outfitters pay em off for feeds . Pretty sad for the hunter that doesn’t choose to get guided and rather do it himself but that’s the name of the game nowadays . All about money . It’s close to being ruined down there in my book if your not an outfitter .

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Yet many believe these outfitter owner/operators are like greek gods of waterfowl..........cracks me up. Then you have the "pro staffers" scattered all over the country and man, do those dudes get taken advantage of by the industry call and decoy makers. "I got a call from a few of our pro staffers down in Oklahoma and they really have the birds and told me to get down here ASAP". What a bunch of bs they spew to take advantage of the "pro staffers" spot. I wonder how many times the "pro staffers" get a call from the TV host (call or decoy manufacturer) to join them on a hunt????

They are nothing more than a bi_ch for these so called god like creatures they call "pros".

Not sure how I got here but I do feel better now :)

Good luck.

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Kids'll do anything for a few extra "likes" and "follows"

4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I was down there two springs ago working for a guide service and we didn't pay a cent for any of the 20-30 fields we hunted. They didn't care. I've heard it's gotten a little tougher down there since but if I wasn't with a guide service I would have gotten on way more fields then I did. You should move to a different area. Not all areas are like that. You must have been in an area that was dominated by one guide service like Hunt Up North or Eaglehead. I wandered into Tracy's area with Hunt Up North and couldn't get on a field to save my life. Drove 30 miles away and just about everything was available.

Never. That's how you make it when you're a big timer. Famous hunters never have to scout or gain permission. They just get invited on all of these awesome hunts. It's pretty genius marketing if you think about it. You get all these young guys on the pro staff for essentially a discount on your products and they invite you on all these awesome hunts all over the country. You even get free advertising.

hannibal likes this.
  5. hannibal

.......and the pro-staffers have to work at so many events peddling the decoy/call manufacturer's gear each year to retain their "pro-staffer" designations. It is genius and like jzoo said above some of these young dudes really feel like they are part of something special. it is sort of a gang like culture they have created.

I had a guy once suggest we have one of these big timers come to our place and put out a massive floater snow goose spread and they would film etc. I told him no freaking way............did not buy the place to have some dude I do not know come in and take advantage of our spot. I have plenty of hunting friends/companions already and if we really want to film we will get a $50 HD camera and film. Somehow the guy thought it would somehow give us some street cred I guess.

Too funny

6. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Yea this year seems to of gotten worse. Farmer asks if you are an outfitter & if you are its 100-200 a day, some even more. Not an outfitter you have a better chance of getting permission for free.

7. hannibal

That is awesome they put the average hunter ahead of a guide/outfitter. If a guide is going to charge $200 per day/per guy and they are hunting 6-8 guns they should, at a minimum, charge half of what the guide is getting........ $600 -$800 for the field that day. If not a guide go for free. I love it!!!!

8. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

I am quite happy that paid access is illegal in Alberta. Not saying that it doesn't happen under the radar now and then but if/when they get caught, it really costs them.
    Every few years, there is a push to legalize paid access here but the push back from the hunting community has stopped it so far.
    I much prefer the knock on a door and a handshake for access we enjoy here. Even when I get turned down I still give the landowner a handshake and thank him for his time. Politeness can go a long way.

9. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I have only paid once with two bottles of booze and that will never happen again. If I continue to do that I contribute to waterfowling, of becoming a rich mans activity. I do pay a owner/farmer of land with a whole hearted thank you and hand shake that is it. Payment of any sort is supporting the commercialization of waterfowling.

I have read over and over about hunters in the USA that can no longer hunt in areas because those lands have become leases. Leaving with only access to public hunting areas.

Having respect for the land and the owner of the land is all that is needed to keep the access open and equal for all hunters. Payment in anyway not just cash, will be the demise of access for waterfowl hunting.

swifthunter likes this.
  10. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

We hunt out in West Texas several times a year and unfortunately the good old days of just knocking on a door are over and done. 15 guide services and as many college kids with decoy trailers running between Lubbock and Amarillo have really messed it up. No one used to pay but when guide services started showing up to the same field they both got permission on they all started leasing stuff and now most every farmer wants some kind of payment. We made 3 trips this year and never actually paid one farmer and most we talked to didn't want anything but we would send them a small gift in the mail. Some nice steaks usually. I could see the writing on the wall and knew we had to make a good impression so these guys would at least let us hunt in the coming years. We will give it hell a few more years up there but I think that is about all we will get before it is completely commercialized.

I did hear some rumors that a GW up there was pushing for it to be illegal for Outfitters to lease property by paying by the gun. If they wanted to lease they had to pay upfront. A lot of the outfitters were having landowners sign "leases" saying they'd pay $X per gun and they had it exclusively for the year. TOTAL BS.