Peacock bass fishing in Florida....

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by negooseman, Mar 28, 2015.

1. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Starting to research a peacock bass fishing trip in Florida. Any certain guides to use or certain ones to stay a way from? Also, wouldn't mind some largemouth fishing too. Thanks.

2. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Stick Marsh is a great place to catch some big bass but its all catch and release. Even the monsters. However, we have some of the best bass fishing in all of the country here on Lake Okeechobee.

Get ahold of Chase at the below site.

http://www.okeechobeebassfishingguide.com/

Also, stay away from Clewiston and the hype around Rolland Martins. Just my opinion but I have been around here all of my life and know A LOT of guides. If you decide NOT to go with the Fastbreak crew Chase will still tell you who to or not to go with for the Peacocks. If anyone tells you they can do both I would be hesitant to believe them.

3. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Peacock bass can be freelanced in the Miami Canals adjacent to the airport. Just pull over & fish, that's how we do it.

Since you'll already be in South Florida, there are many reputable guides on the lake.

Just make sure you're going with a licensed and insured captain.

4. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Guest

I'm just back from the Ft Lauderdale area. I mainly go for ocean diving and fishing but if the weather is rough like it was I try the intercoastal for salt and went' down one day to the Blue hole or whatever lake is right by Miami Airport. I fished a few hours all the way to a water control structure without a bite but also had no shiners/live bait. I threw all sorts of bass type lures. Spinner baits, spoons and Rapalas etc with nary a bite but that's fishing.

5. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Guest

I stopped by Lake Ida to flush the salt out of my motor and intend to use that as a last day salt flush/bass expedition in the future with Peacock as the primary target. I read where that was too far North for Peacock but had recommendations to go there from Bass Pro and the locals.

6. chris305

chris305 Refuge Member

Remind me as the time for your trip gets closer and try and get you on some. Not sure if you fly fish but there fun on the long rod.

7. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Guest

I have a cheap fly rod but I suck at it.

I do appreciate the offer though!

Are you using streamers or larger flies for them? I could do some practice and focus on the right weight setup?

8. ibfishin1

ibfishin1 Refuge Member

Contact Gabe Arrington 561-262-1400. He guides for peacocks in south palm Beach county. He could put you in touch with guides in south florida as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Waterfowl fool likes this.
  9. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Had no clue Gabe did. The guy know Lake Okeechobee like the back of his hand. I would suggest him no knwoking that he does it for peacocks...You wont be upset